[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Occultism/Horror

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

Where do I start with occultism? What are the best works? The only related books I've read are the ones by Lovecraft.
>>
>>9074242
aleister crowley or some shit, i dunno.
>>
File: _lit_history_of_horror.png (3MB, 788x2544px) Image search: [Google]
_lit_history_of_horror.png
3MB, 788x2544px
>>9074242
>>
>>9074242
The occult is a branch of mysticism, not a branch of "horror."
>>
File: 1449181584624.jpg (74KB, 342x427px) Image search: [Google]
1449181584624.jpg
74KB, 342x427px
>>9074242
Do you want to learn about the occult or horror?
If it's the occult and metaphysics go with good ol' Aleister Crowley and Manley P Hall
>>
>>9074609
they are connected by the term 'numinous'
>>
File: 4185839482_0a9a8bf15d_o.jpg (232KB, 576x762px) Image search: [Google]
4185839482_0a9a8bf15d_o.jpg
232KB, 576x762px
>>9074242
I will give you the only correct answer. You won't like it, but without a high level of familiarity with it, most of what you will read in charts and in other recommendations would barely make any sense. Many other works of occult may claim to precede it and go all the way back to Sumer, ancient Egypt or whatever, but historically it has been proven times and again that all of the supposedly "ancient" works are from the high middle ages or early modern period, not to mention the many works from the 19th century and early 20th.

the bible:old and new testaments: this is the most basic work. afterwards, you are should familiar yourself withplato, especially Timaeus and Parmenides - just to have a basic grasp of any neo-platonism concepts you may encounter along the way
>>
Read the house on the borderline some time ago. Can anyone recommend something similar? Really fell for its absurdism.
>>
>>9074242
vonych manuscript
>>
>>9074408
>comic book crap

too bad, rest is solid
>>
>>9075322
>being a snob over format
ishygddt
>>
File: Solomonic Magic.gif (39KB, 300x253px) Image search: [Google]
Solomonic Magic.gif
39KB, 300x253px
>>9074242
For occultism get a copy of The Lemegeton: The lesser Key of Solomon.

It's the foundation text of Goetic demonology and the most accessible resource for Solomonic magic.
>>
>>9075375
two memes for the price of one, amazing
>>
>>9074408
gay list i guess theres no horror worth reading
>>
>>9074408
that really is a pretty shitty list. there are so many better stories than carmilla by j.s. le fanu. all of m. r. james's stories can be found in a single volume now. that clark ashton smith collection contains like one horror story. the rest are his fantasy and one or two science fiction stories. dennis wheately is absolute shit. anything after from hell is questionable too, especially the soulless drivel by pugmire and barron. the last one makes me think it's just a meme chart and that's unfortunate because there are some genuinely good authors (dunsany, m.r. james, cas, le fanu) that are worth reading.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.