[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you describe his works and style?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Kurt_Vonnegut_1972.jpg (16KB, 220x326px) Image search: [Google]
Kurt_Vonnegut_1972.jpg
16KB, 220x326px
How would you describe his works and style?
>>
>>9073051
good enough to get you out of a juvenile rut as a midwestern american. was essential for putting some desire for something to surpass him into my head, after reading lesser works, finding him, and realizing there were tiers to literature, it was inevitable that the next step was out there.

later on in life, reading him, it feels samey, many of the themes lack the spark they did as a youth.
all in all, not a bad author. somewhat tarnished by reddit.
>>
>>9073051
>his work?
dumb, and
>his style?
gay.
>>
>>9073051
He looks like he fucks little boys.

Or is it just me.
>>
>>9073051
reddit
>>
I like him, very readable + funny. but I agree with >>9073056 in the sense that his work feels like a slight stepping stone into greater lit.
>>
>>9073093
it was all the way up until i read joyce, then it was all downhill from there, to be sure.
>>
>>9073062
No that's just what happens when you go for a counter-culture look but you don't understand quite what thay means.
>>9073051
Thoroughly enjoyable. Not high literature by any stretch of the imagination, but one of my favorites for light reading.
>>
>>9073096
i still haven't tackled Joyce yet, working my way up. where do i start with him?
>>
>>9073372
i just said fuck it and read Ulysses, so i dunno. I loved it, went on to read Portrait and Dubliners. A word of warning about Portrait and Dubliners though, not nearly on the same level as Ulysses. If you read Dubliners and get bored or discouraged, you have no idea what's coming. Portrait is simply genius, and Ulysses is a fucking buttload of fun. A word of advice though, don't mess Ulysses up with more than a brief synopsis of the "chapters" as you go along, just immerse yourself, I liked the blind stripling and deaf pat and how they played off each other, so maybe watch for them.

I dunno, I won't pretend I got anything other than pleasure from it, I loved the book. be careful though, it feels like Joyce is trying to teach you a different language. Reading books after that in my life have all been somewhat underwhelming.
>>
childish

That's not bad though. Childish can be good.
>>
>>9073387
thanks, currently reading infinite jest so I think I'll need a rest before I take on ulysses
>>
>>9073403
from what i read of IJ, it's not even in the same league. it'll probably be too shocking if you just go straight from one to the other. i'd read some plain jane writing, something 19th century, plot heavy, good, strong writing, then when your palate is cleansed, dive right in. Though, dubliners could fall under that category, (if not by 15 years or so)
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.