[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best book on Rome

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

I've realized that I'm woefully ignorant of the influential figures and thinkers from Roman History. I want a book that will give me an overview of who the great roman thinkers and statesmen are, so that I ideally could then dive in deeper into those whom I find interesting

I'm currently thinking about diving into either

1. SPQR by Mary Beard
2. Rubicon by Tom Holland

Do you have any other recommendations?
>>
>>9071886
Idk how much Rubicon will help you with intellectual figures of Rome. But it is a great book, almost biblical in tone, about the civil wars. Good, fun book.
>>
>>9071886
Lucy, Plutarch and Suetonius
>>
>>9071886
you might not believe me but City of God

he references all of the great Roman writers so much that you'll walk away with a pretty good idea of what they're all about. You'll know a good amount of history too although the chronology of everything is hard to follow.
>>
>>9073787
That was supposed to say Livy
>>
>>9071886
Pliny, either one.
>>
>>9071886
It is quite difficult to give an advice:

For the classics I suggest you read the letters of Cicero, Seneca, Pliny the Younger and Symmachus.

"Modern" books?
There are many anglo-american historians, whose write history books for a great audience (Goldsworthy, Garnsey, Millar, Grant, Wiedemann and others); but i suggests these "old" books:
Ronald Syme - The Roman Revolution
Ronald Syme - The Augustan Aristocracy
Gaston Boisser - Cicero And His Friends
>>
>not one mention of Polybios
This board should be purged by fire.
>>
>>9071886
that fat english bastard who wrote bout the romans
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.