[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/vocab/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: vocab.jpg (56KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
vocab.jpg
56KB, 600x400px
Post some words you recently learned.

Or ask questions relating to vocabulary.
>>
The last word I googled was rubrication, which is like highlighting for medeval monks.
>>
Recently learned the word "bucolic." As an adjective, it means "relating to the pleasant aspects of the countryside or country life." As a noun, it refers to a pastoral poem.

I'm writing a short story about city life vs rural life, which is why I came across the word. Some sentences I jotted down:

"Cityfolk will never understand the joys of bucolic simplicity."

"The tumultuous city was devoid of the bucolic simplicity of rural living."

Any other words you would recommend I should consider using for such a story? Are there any adjectives which relate to the bad aspects of rural life, or the good or bad aspects of city life?
>>
>>9068065
The word sounds unpleasant.
>>
>>9068071
Yes it suggests it illness to me.
>>
the last thing i looked up was the difference between "immersion" and "submergence". english isn't my first language, that might explain it
>>
>>9068062
>rubrication, which is like highlighting for medeval monks.

Interesting. I was actually going to make a topic on /his/ for "historical words." Words that aren't used in the modern world for some reason, maybe they only work in some historical context or they fell off of usage because they became offensive.

The most recent "historical word" I learned is "Muhammadan" which can be used as an adjective or noun. As an adjective, it relates to Islamic things, like "The Great Mosque of Samarra is an example of Muhammadan architecture."
>>
>>9068071
>>9068073
Yea, it doesn't come out of the mouth too elegantly. It definitely sounds a lot like "bubonic" which is probably why you related it to illness.
>>
https://www.merriam-webster.com/news-trend-watch/new-york-times-bannon-is-not-merely-a-svengali-20170131

Svengali - a person who completely dominates another, usually with selfish or sinister motives.
>>
Pietism:
1) a 17th century religious movement originating in Germany in reaction to formalism and intellectualism and stressing Bible study and personal religious experience
2) a: emphasis on devotional experience and practices
b: affectation of devotion
>>
>>9068052
Sedge.

Okay that sounds bad but I thought it was just generic plant-matter at the edge of a lake, but it turns out it's a specific plant.

Also kerf.
>>
How do you pronounce "parodying", "Tenochtitlan" and "Constantinople"?
>>
>>9068446
>parodying

The "dy" and "ing" syllables are spoken as if they were one syllable. I don't know if this is a real word but the "dy" is basically a "half-syllable." Imagine the word "ding" and try to put a very slight pause in between the "d" and the "ing".

pair-a-da'ing

>tenochtitlan

I'm not 100% certain, but I think its:

Tea - noch (no, as in "no", + ch, as in cheese) - teet (not "tit", strong "e" sound) - lann (as in the end sound of "swan")

I would look up some documentaries about it and see how historians commonly say it

>constantinople

con (as in "conman") + stint + eh + no + pull
>>
>>9068479
why are you rusing this poor foreigner
>>
File: C2vHF6F.png (630KB, 730x1095px) Image search: [Google]
C2vHF6F.png
630KB, 730x1095px
>>9068052
>Lithe

I read it for a female character's description and it gave an erection after I went back and reread the line after looking it up.
>>
>>9068446
>>9068479
Mexican here. The ch is pronounced like the h on english (how, hiss). The first syllabe is te (like in earl, not tea)
>>
>>9071792
The wall just got ten feet higher.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.