[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good books about the Ancient Egyptians? >inb4 WE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: Nofretete_Neues_Museum.jpg (356KB, 1282x1877px) Image search: [Google]
Nofretete_Neues_Museum.jpg
356KB, 1282x1877px
What are some good books about the Ancient Egyptians?

>inb4 WE
>>
WUZ
>>
>>9062429
AUTISTS
>>
File: newsguy2.jpg (328KB, 1899x1070px) Image search: [Google]
newsguy2.jpg
328KB, 1899x1070px
>>9062429
degenerates
>>
PHARAOHS
>>
>>9062524
..but not until the new kingdom, before that we were just
KINGS
>>
>>9062429
Egyptian book of the dead?
>>
File: Untitled.png (528KB, 639x447px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
528KB, 639x447px
Kemeticism is a good start.
>>
>>9062429
They are the most underrated civilization
They had a way of life that is utterly unimaginable
>>
>>9062709
Interesting... Tell me more.
>>
>>9062711
Could you imagine living in a civilization that's existed in its state for long enough for the founding of it to be forgotten by your own historians

a place where your entire life was measured by two seasons based almost solely on the river swelling and receding

where the god you worshiped literally ruled over you, and monuments of your people housed their bones

other peoples (the Canaanites) worshiped a god that represented your culture
>>
Do you want a history of ancient egypt, or do you want to learn about their mythology/religion/whatever, or something else entirely?

The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt is a good starting point for the first. The Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt is ok as well.

The Book of the Dead is the most obvious introduction to their myths, and it's a decent starting point, especially if you get a copy with decent analysis text and the like. For the love of god, avoid the Budge translation though, it's fucking awful.
>>
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/15932?msg=welcome_stranger#Pg_207
>>
File: obelisk.jpg (391KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
obelisk.jpg
391KB, 1200x1600px
http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/profecias/esp_profecia08.htm

"O Egypt, Egypt, of thy religion nothing will remain but an empty tale, which thine own children in time to come will not believe; nothing will be left but graven words, and only the stones will tell of thy piety."

Here's an excerpt from the Hermetica, which dates to the second or third century AD. It's a prophecy from Thoth/Hermes (God of knowledge) about the demise of Egypt.

Egyptian civilization was as ancient to the Greeks and Romans as the Greeks and Romans are to modernity. Those pyramids, temples and hieroglyphs has been fascinating and perplexing people for millennia.
>>
Aristotle mentions the egyptians are regarded as the most ancient civilization, and that they invented mathematics. But i haven't read any book on them
>>
>>9062760
What would you recommend if I want to get a good understanding of their worldview and outlook in daily life?

Something like cultural anthropology, but not so much focused on how they made baskets, more like using all the available data to construct how they saw the world and reality. Like a history of mentalités.
>>
>>9062429
mika waltari
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.