[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do some works of art possess more value than others? What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

Why do some works of art possess more value than others? What are the criteria for a good work of art? In this case, I mean art in its broadest sense, including literature or music.
Basically, I just want to un-pleb myself when it comes to arts.
>>
Art becomes more valuable when it has appeal to the most people, unlike your mother who loses value with every john.
>>
You will gain knowledge of this as you spend more time with it. When you are just starting out, you have no idea why this or that book is better than any other. When you've read (and understood) a hundred books, you'll have a better idea for what is unique and interesting compared to what is average.

Of course, this all assumes you're actually being a good reader and you take time to analyze what made each book good or bad. And it also assumes you give things you're uncomfortable with the benefit of the doubt.
>>
>>9060532
Alright, OP.
So, Art in itself is hard to define. A lot of it is subjective and nobody has really been able to pin it down. Everyone has to figure out their own definition, but what you have to do is try to experience art firstly on an emotional level.

Hear me out. That might sound like a cop-out, but it's like this. A lot of art, especially if it doesn't connect with you right away, it doesn't mean it's bad (it doesn't mean it's good either but hear me out).

Personally, for me, art has to have a message it wants to convey to the viewer. Doesn't matter what that message is, or how coherent, but for me, that's the basic requirement. Now, the thing with art is, is that people will say stuff like "but WHY is it art?" Really, you have to find the reason for yourself. What I do, is even when I see art that I don't personally like, I look at it, and I don't think about it. I FEEL it. This might sound like esoteric bullshit, but, well, what do you want to do? I feel it. It doesn't have to feel good. Maybe you feel angry. Maybe you get offended that it's so bad. Maybe that's the point. Who knows?

Try to cast off what you think art should be. Sometimes you have to work at it, to appreciate it. I used to hate modern art like every other asshole. Sometimes you have to look past technical ability and look at the intention. Sometimes the opposite. That's art.
>>
Art is a symbolic status bestowed by trading institutions.
>>
>>9060532
art has no inherent value that's what makes it art

"criteria for a good work of art" that's just another way of saying taste. if you follow a lot of art you will develop a sense of what you like and don't like, all you can do is study more art like >>9060706
said
>>
>>9060532
good art has something interesting to say and an interesting way to say it, while evoking emotions in a compelling manner, and in the greatest cases confers a sense of wonder referred to often as the "sublime".
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.