[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm looking for an acclaimed novel written by a black author

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: 0.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
I'm looking for an acclaimed novel written by a black author where race is NOT a central theme.
>>
Keep lurking
>>
Giovanni's Room.
>>
Giovanni's Room - James Baldwin

Unless you consider Eye-ties to be a race
>>
Alexandre Dumas
Alexander Pushkin
>>
>>9055909
count of monte cristo
>>
>>9055909

Why?
>>
A Brief History of Seven Killings
>>
Les damnés de la terre
>>
>>9055919
I have to write a paper on a work by a black author and I want to subvert the obvious expectation that it would be about racism.
>>
File: newtrology7.jpg (220KB, 850x500px) Image search: [Google]
newtrology7.jpg
220KB, 850x500px
you have read the first part of the meme trilogy have you not
>>
>>9055961
*second
>>
>>9055943

>I have to write a paper on a work by a black author

Does it have to be a novel? Samuel R. Delany and Octavia Butler wrote short stories that had nothing to do with race. Tbh it's very difficult to find black authors who don't write about racism because:

A) It's a central theme in their history

B) It's what their audience wants to read about and therefore what the publisher will publish
>>
File: Secret Lives, and Other Stories.jpg (27KB, 300x447px) Image search: [Google]
Secret Lives, and Other Stories.jpg
27KB, 300x447px
>>9055968
most of le kenyan neckbeard man's short stories would also qualify
>>
>>9055909
Half of a Yellow Sun - Adichie
The Famished Road - Okri
>>
>>9055943
In that case, obviously go with Dumas.
>>
>>9055943
Would you settle for "racism is only a small piece of the author's rich tapestry?"
>>
The Republic
>>
Invisible Man by Ellison. It approaches race, but only on a surface level; beyond that, it's really an examination of the human identity.
>>
>>9056171
The prologue of Invisible Man is fucking God-tier...but that's as far as I got because I somehow lost the book
>>
>>9056066
As long as race isn't central to the novel itself idc what else the author writes about

At this point I may go with TCOMC. I read it before but it would be nice to read again
>>
M
A
C
H
A
D
O

D
E

A
S
S
I
S

All of his characters are white. He wrote for white people. He only read white authors. His influences are Sterne, De Maistre, and Schopenhauer. He was born and wrote before all of the race stuff arose.

Harold Bloom considers him the greatest black author of all time.

So why is he never mentioned in threads like this?
>>
>>9056171
Since I haven't read this before, I might actually go with it instead of TCOMC
>>
>>9056253
It's a truly fantastic work of literature.
>>
>>9056222
Not black enough.
>>
>>9055909
Cleaver spent his youth in and out of prision, saw rape as a revolutionary act, became the literary figurehead of the black panthers and tried to steer the group towards Juche, the DPRK, and full guerrilla insurgency, which lead to his eventual expulsion from the party. Cleaver was forced into exile, bouncing from France to Cuba and Algeria and back again, he ultimately became a mormon and a Reagan republican. Dude was nuts but also a great prose stylist, kinda like the Afro American Celine.
>>
>>9055915
>mulattoes
>black
wrong.
>>
>>9056925
Damn he sounds great:
>>
>>9055909
Race Matters by Cornel West
>>
>>9056925
Didn't write any novels.
>>
>>9056930

>not knowing the one-drop rule
>wrong
>>
>>9055920
This. Non-American blacks are a good choice, as race is less central in their writings.
>>
>>9055909
Captain Picard looks to Commander Riker...

"Do you ever notice Jordi spends ALOT of time on the holodeck? I wonder what he's doing in there."
>>
The Palm Wine Drinkard and his Dead Palm Wine Tapster in the Deads' Town
>>
Triton, Samuel Delaney
Lilith's Brood, Octavia Butler
Basic Economics, Thomas Sowell
>>
>>9056171

>It approaches race, but only on a surface level; beyond that

Wut.

The narrator is 'invisible' BECAUSE he's black. It is not incidental; it is constitutive.
>>
>>9056222
Q
U
A
D
R
O
O
N
>>
>>9057894
>Basic Economics
that's gonna be a fun book report
>>
>>9057911
It's also metaphorical in that it applies to all men. The theme is bigger than you're treating it.
>>
>>9057911
>The narrator is 'invisible' BECAUSE he's black
that's simply untrue. he's 'invisible' because he's alienated, from the white upperclass, from his black classmates, from the multi-racial communists, etc.
>>
>>9056930
Tell this to /pol/ and come back to me.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.