[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats the difference

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: qwe.jpg (210KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
qwe.jpg
210KB, 800x533px
What is the difference between category of being and class of being?
>>
isn't classes a category of being itself?
>>
>>9054252
I don't know
>>Let us call any such less comprehensive classes the ‘categories of being’ or the ‘ontological categories’. (The former term, if not the latter, presupposes a particular position on one question about the nature of being: that everything is, that the universal class is the class of beings, the class of things that are.
>>
Nobody?
>>
>>9054711
Yeah, nobody. What the fuck is your thread even about? Can you be more specific? What's the difference according to who? Metaphysics isn't science with one correct answer
>>
>>9054730
I just thought it was a simple question that could be answered by the people here considering the fact I couldn't find any info on google about it. I even posted the full sentence so people could see why I'm asking it.
>>
>>9054224
Is this le not an argument man?
>>
>>9055225
Yes its Stephano Molyx himself, now answer my question.
>>
>>9054736
The problem is nobody knows what the fuck you're talking about. "categories of being" isn't some empirical reality you can go out and measure, it's just a metaphor. A 2000 year old metaphor at that. Have you even read Aristotle? Or any philosophy at all?

Your random sentence from the SEP explains it anyway you dumbass:
>Let us call any such less comprehensive classes the 'categories of being'
So "categories" refers to the set of things that exist that's less extensive than the set of all things that can be places in categories. Just read it again. Really though you're wasting your time because contemporary philosophy doesn't even believe in "categories" or "classes of being" or even a consistent "being" at all.
>>
>>9055240
>empirical reality you can go out and measure
I'm just asking whats the difference between them not their legitimacy.
>Or any philosophy at all?
I haven't and thats why I'm following the sticky which said to check every branch of philosophy in sep or any other philo dictionary.
>So "categories" refers to the set of things that exist that's less extensive than the set of all things that can be places in categories
In the last thread I said the same thing but nobody wanted to confirm it and rather talked about irrelevant things.
>you're wasting your time because contemporary philosophy doesn't even believe in "categories" or "classes of being" or even a consistent "being" at all.
And what am I supposed to do then?
>>
>>9055292
>In the last thread I said the same thing
So you're telling me you not only already made a thread about this, but you also already know the answer? Are you stupid or something? Why the fuck would you make the exact same thread AGAIN?

So you admit you already know the answer, you already made this thread, and you've never read any philosophy. Seriously just fuck off. What are you supposed to do? I don't give a shit. Read a fucking book you retard
>>
>>9055301
You sound like a pseud desu.
>>
>>9054224
Is that Stefan Molyneux's son?
>>
>>9055347
>son
Its his WIFE son.
>>
>>9054224
I've never heard the terms, but going by definition of base elements to define the phrase, Category would be the Observable (Gender, Race, Height, etc) out of Context with Society. Class would be how Society quantifies this (Opinions generally accepted in relation to concepts i.e. Manlets), or the Metaphysical aspect (Oppressed vs Privileged).
>>
>>9055862
>>9055351
Here, the anon above me brings an example to what I mean.
The Category would properly be Step-Son, while the Class is Wife's Son. This is because of the Connotation to the phrase "Wife's Son" to be associated with Cuckoldry, or Cucks.
To be a Cuck was once a Category of Fetish, but since the phrase has used more widely it now becomes a Class used by people to express the opinion of "Person that has given up on their individuality/beliefs to go along with the crowd". To be a Cuck is no different than it was to be a Sheep, as the phrase once went.

Why does all philosophy eventually devolve from "Defining the Statutes of What it Means to Be" to "Defining the Things we Encounter Everyday"? It seems a waste of time to argue over when River Water turns into Lake Water.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.