[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to properly read?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: download.jpg (4KB, 281x180px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
4KB, 281x180px
Newfag, and I fear that when I read, I can't properly concentrate. Stuff like Nabokov, Joyce, Proust is way above my level right now, and I'm just sticking plain stuff right now.

Will the ability to comprehend the flowery prose come in time? Also, how do you truly understand a book? How to read?
>>
>>9054200
stupidity is a gift anon
>>
>>9054200
>How to properly read
How to read properly.

There, you learned something already.
>>
>>9054200
>Will the ability to comprehend the flowery prose come in time?
It will if you're not an idiot

>Also, how do you truly understand a book?
You read it and interpret the themes and what's being conveyed

> How to read?
One word at a time
>>
>>9054200
It's okay if you read for entertainment. You don't have to pressure yourself to extract a deep meaning from a book.
>>
Not OP but is How to Read a Book worth reading?
>>
>>9054465
No.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABC_of_Reading
>>
Discipline your computer usage
Start meditating
Stop masturbating
Start lifting

Today.
>>
>>9054200
There actually are people who can't read and are not aware of it. Usually they read too fast, skip paragraphs and other related shit.

At least you know that you can't read OP. If you really enjoy literature, then start with entry level books. Read slow, finish the book and search unknown words (use phone, it's faster). Consider reading outloud sometimes, it really improves your comprehension of the text.
>>
>>9054390
>You read it and interpret the themes and what's being conveyed
>implying you can read Joyce properly without some education in the classics
fuck off

>>9054491
>stop masturbating
there's honestly something wrong with you people
>>
>>9054465
Absolutely if you are interested in reading more than just fiction. Especially geared towards philosophical works. It has bias towards analytical philosophy but that is a good thing.

The best part about the book though is really trying to teach undergrads the value of intellectual etiquette. Basically it says before you truly understand a work (which
you probably don't) be humble and inquisitive and hold off on judgements or refute. It's something a lot of young plebs on here need to learn.

>>9054200
Don't have any fear, be self confident and don't overestimate too much. If you really care about understanding absolutely everything about a deep work it doesn't matter who you are you need to read it more than once.

For now just start reading without fear and learn to use your brain to both enjoy and think about a work. Many things will become lucid when a work sinks into you when you are not reading.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.