[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

philosophy books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

File: thinker.jpg (238KB, 530x657px) Image search: [Google]
thinker.jpg
238KB, 530x657px
recc. me some books to get into philosophy /lit/
>>
>>9052583
>>
>>9052583
stirner
>>
>>9052583
plato's dialogues. think of a topic that interests you and look for a dialogue that tackles it. without getting into the issue of platonic interpretation since there are shitloads of schools of interpretation, just remember that he is writing stuff more akin to fiction compared to modern philosophical works, so dont take everything the interlocutors say purely literal

>>9052589
dont fall for the eternal anglo OP
>>
>>9052601
>dont fall for the eternal anglo OP
It's just a simplified introduction to philosophy. Calm the fuck down.
>>
File: 862952.jpg (41KB, 307x475px) Image search: [Google]
862952.jpg
41KB, 307x475px
>>9052583
fear the gods
>>
>>9052583
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is both very accessible and entertaining.
>>
>>9052629
>>9052610
>>9052601
>>9052590
>>9052589
thanks, will start with some of these :)
>>
I don't fucking get it. I don't fucking get it anymore.
Did you even lurk? Did you ever notice the 100+ threads per week related to philosophy? Not noticing a pattern of Greek-replies?
Noticing that every chart starts with the Hellnes?
Why do you think the START WITH THE GREEKS even is?
The Greeks did it all.
Poetry. Philosophy. Novels. Stories. Plays.

And you won't give them the time of the day to read and educate yourself?
End your meme-existence. desu senpai
>>
>>9052629
Not the OP but a couple years ago I tried to read this and didn't get very far. All of the themes just seemed so blatant and obvious and simplified that it hardly felt worth reading either as a novel or a work of philisohpy. Do you disagree? Should I give it another shot?
>>
>>9052638
ok thanks :)
>>
>>9052654
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe
>>
>>9052641
The second half is better than the first, if you didn't get that far. It's not particularly subtle, but the whole point of the book is that it's about how philosophy impacts us practically (or how Zen applies to motorcycle maintenance). Following Phaedrus' descent into madness while seeing that same struggle play out in the narrator's journey with his son makes for an interesting narrative. It's no philosophical masterwork, but it's sufficiently deep to be interesting while still being very easy to follow.

I really like it.
>>
>>9052604
im memeing but i dont think russell's book is nice as he doesnt makes his biases explicit. to counter my memeing, let me recommend anglo intro books

i'd say if OP really wants a historical introduction to the discipline, check the history of philosophy without any gaps podcast and its books or coplestone's history of western philosophy books. the former's host makes it evident that he studies islamic phil and the latter is an unabashed thomist. the podcast is also v comfy
>>
>>9052827
literally who tf is "coplestone"

>>9052583
depends on what you mean by "get into" philosophy. if you want to really take your time and get to know the whole field, definitely start with Plato. if you just want a bird's eye view and you don't necessarily want to spend years reading everything, Russell's History is plenty good enough.
>>
File: Kierkegaard.jpg (17KB, 241x346px) Image search: [Google]
Kierkegaard.jpg
17KB, 241x346px
>>9052583
One of my favorites. If you're into religion or existentialism, you'll like this guy.
>>
File: soren kierkegaard.jpg (14KB, 220x326px) Image search: [Google]
soren kierkegaard.jpg
14KB, 220x326px
>>9053169
My philosophu
>>
File: enjoy.png (51KB, 598x222px) Image search: [Google]
enjoy.png
51KB, 598x222px
>>9052583
>thinker.jpg
>>
>>9053139
my bad its copleston. google should bring the guy up now
>>
>>9053466
just having a chuckle at ye m8, I knew what you meant
>>
>>9053475
did i just get rused
>>
>>9052590
>>9052635
no do not go for stirner it will turn you into a retard
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.