[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is pic related good? How does it compare to Gravity's Rainbow

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 17208457.jpg (40KB, 313x475px) Image search: [Google]
17208457.jpg
40KB, 313x475px
Is pic related good? How does it compare to Gravity's Rainbow and Mason & Dixon?
>>
pinecone
ha
like leaves
branches
pinecone flapping in the breeze
>>
File: 1441150165061.jpg (61KB, 326x499px) Image search: [Google]
1441150165061.jpg
61KB, 326x499px
it's my least favorite of his, a HUGE step down if you've only read GR and Mason & Dixon, none of the fragmentary or abstract storytelling of Gravity's Rainbow, not nearly as beautifully written or well researched as Mason & Dixon, not even on par with his lesser works like Inherent Vice or Vineland - but still a pretty good read on its own merits.

it reads like a floaty satirical pulp crime/political thriller with a little 2000's cyberpunk in there. if you like late william gibson, the deus ex video games or matrix-era cyberthrillers and don't go in expecting anything high-level pynchon you'll probably enjoy it.
>>
>>9050079
I thought it was pretty bad.
Haven't read Mason and Dixon but it's inferior to GR and ATD
>>
>>9050091
I do like cyberpunk (mainly the aesthetic) and Dude Sex games, but is it really worse than Vineland? That's by far the worst Pynchon book IMO.

Inherent Vice was pretty good, though.
>>
the book chemist says it's his fav
>>
>>9050079
too edgy for me
>>
>>9050128
I'd say it's slightly better than Vineland having read every pinecone except Against the Day.
>>
>>9050079
it's fun and relevant
more akin to Vineland and inherent vice than gravity's rainbow and mason and dixon
>>
>>9050091
You didn't understand it, t b h. It's better than TCoL49 imho. (Sort of works on a Nabokovian/Sebaldean principle, though; tricks you and doesn't tell you it's tricking you, so that there's a hierarchy of readership; you sound like you're pretty low on the hierarchy.)
>>
>>9050173

Mattia is a turbopleb. His opinion means less than nothing.
>>
>>9050233
>>9050128
i'll never get the vineland hate

i prefer vineland to inherent vice, bleeding edge, maybe even lot 49
>>
>>9050447
yeah, i loved vineland
I don't get Pynchon hate
i love Pynchon
people calling bleeding edge bad? seriously? i loved it. actually it more or less got me back into the internet
>>
>>9050447
I get you, Vineland is closer to GR-style Pynchon than all these except that it's just completely shlocky
>>
>>9050447
>>9050910
Vineland has moments and overtones approaching greatness but as a whole it's very underwhelming, probably half by design and half due to him phoning it in.
>>
>>9050910
it's not closer to GR style Pynchon. Pynchon is consistent throughout his entire career. Only people who think he "phones in" novels are the turbo-plebs who only claim to enjoy GR because it's obviously difficult. In reality, they don't have a clue about GR or any of his other works.

Vineland is a good book but some of the characters are intentionally very fucking annoying. He did all of that and more, better, with Inherent Vice imo.

>>9050796
>people calling bleeding edge bad? seriously? i loved it. actually it more or less got me back into the internet

if you read it carefully you'd have turned off the internet, yet here I am! Seriously, it paints a pretty bleak view of the internet if you understand what's going on in the book.
>>
>>9051152
To me, when I read it, it just felt like he doesn't really get the internet.

Like he wanted to be immersed in modern culture complete with kojima and zima references but it still feels like a 70s novel to me.
>>
>>9051152
If you actually think his style has been entirely consistent through his career you've got brain damage or were reading with your head shoved firmly up your own ass.
>>
Bleeding Edge is very good. People are always going to be more apt to shit on contemporary literature because there isn't as much proof that it's good.

It's a fun read. Takes on similar themes of conspiracy to TCoL49, but in a more subdued way. The family dynamics in the book are really good, something people don't really talk about but I think this book has strong themes about the importance and struggles of family.
>>
>>9050438
Any patrician youtubers?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.