[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Antagonistic main characters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 1484932568461.png (602KB, 705x960px) Image search: [Google]
1484932568461.png
602KB, 705x960px
How do you make an antagonistic main character, one that is objectively bad in his actions, but at the same time endearing enough to be relatable to readers
>>
Be a good writer
>>
Funny you mention that, I think I've done just that.

Nope, not telling you how I did it either.
>>
File: groan.jpg (356KB, 700x1117px) Image search: [Google]
groan.jpg
356KB, 700x1117px
>>9048102
You have to make him understandable, with motivations and values that normal people feel, too. The evil part should come from how he acts on those motivations. Give him traits that everyone values, like intelligence or determination, so the reader feels at least respect for him.
>pic related
>>
>objectively bad
>implying

Regardless the main character is always the protagonist. The antagonist is the opposition. The way you make people relate to a character is always by make them human. The more intimate the characters humanity the more the reader will empathize.
>>
Every story of a human should convey human characteristics. If done successfully, humans will find parts of themselves in it.

So,
>>9048104
basically this.
>>
File: The Dwarf.jpg (92KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
The Dwarf.jpg
92KB, 500x750px
>>9048102
I don't know how, but this guy did it so read this.
>>
Tragedies and horror stories
>>
>>9048102
I think you mean villain protagonist.

A lot of people will reject a villain protagonist, or even just an anti-hero, out of pure principle, so don't think that you'll be able to please everyone.

That said, people who read your stuff aren't looking for a sermon. Just make sure that you write your character consistently, and give them some depth. All badly written characters are unlikeable, no matter where they sit on the moral spectrum.
>>
Make him funny and with an ounce of decency. The protagonist of Filth (the novel, not the movie) is the only anti-hero/villain protagonist that I know of that pulled it off.
>>
>>9048852
Prince of Thorns does it well
>>
>>9048102
>objectively bad in his actions
Your first step is to drop that notion
>>
File: uk-orig-the-blade-itself.jpg (86KB, 424x650px) Image search: [Google]
uk-orig-the-blade-itself.jpg
86KB, 424x650px
>>9048102
Read The First Law trilogy.
Sand dan Glokta's story arch is really great.
>>
Don't read the mediocre fantasy posted in this thread unless your goal is to write mediocre fantasy. Try some of Jeff Dyer's stuff, especially Yoga for People Who Don't Want to Learn How to Do It (I might be mangling the title). It's a series of autobiographical essays notable because of how much he highlights himself as a bad, and frankly unlikeable, person.
>>
Watch The Sopranos.
>>
>>9048102

This.
>>9048271

Protagonist and Antagonist are roles, not character traits. You better figure the very basics out first before you try to do anything fancy, OP.
>>
>>9048102
make them black
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.