[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Don Quixote Read Through Day 1

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 239
Thread images: 20

File: highborn_maidens.jpg (84KB, 550x456px) Image search: [Google]
highborn_maidens.jpg
84KB, 550x456px
Chapters 1-4

First edition

What do you guys think so far? Personally, the prose is top-tier comfy and the humor is perfectly subtle and witty.

So far:

Don Quixote has named himself and his maiden, was knighted by an innkeeper, "rescued" a servant from being whipped, and was beaten to a pulp by a passing caravan.

>Audiobook and e-books
https://mega.nz/#F!VANiTKYZ!HEO-5zzoegwgBt8djXxb_A

>Poll
http://www.strawpoll.me/12244787
>>
File: IMG_DFE3DA403C611.jpg (379KB, 836x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_DFE3DA403C611.jpg
379KB, 836x1024px
Schedule
>>
How come no one has told him that he isn't a knight? The ladies laughed at him first, but began to play into it.
>>
>chuunibyou in the 17th century

what is this
>>
>They say he went by Quijada or Quesada, which is a point of contention between the different writers who treat this matter; notwithstanding Quejana is generally agreed upon to be his last name by plausible conjectures. But this is of little importance to our story; it suffices the story better if not a glimmer of truth is allowed to escape.

Reminds me of Gogol.
>>
There's a very long and informative footnote in my copy which details the history of the hidalgo class in the Middle Ages, from their distinguished military legacy to their poverty-stricken shambles with their (great-grandparents') rusted and rotted equipment in the late 16th C.
While this isn't incredibly important to the enjoyment of the book, it does paint a quick but narrow portrait of the protagonist, one with which would soon become very familiar to Cervantes' audience, if not already.
>>
>But, notwithstanding, he praised the author's continued promise to prolong his never-ending adventure, and often the desire to take up a pen and put an end to it, as is promised; and without a doubt he would, and would have, if other more pressing matters didn't impede him.

>disappointed in all extant versions, I ventured my notion of the perfect translator of [Rabelais]: that he or she "should combine the imagination, daring, and gusto of the brilliant creator with the humility and solid learning of the true scholar." (I now fear that any such paragon would be too busy with his or her own creative work...)

I think I've been sitting on this idea for a while, but I recently reread a good chunk of Rabelais and Frame's Note immediately came to mind.

Speaking of Prologues: are we gonna ignore the Author's Prologue. I know the Dedicatory poems are kinda throwaway in this kind of reading project, but the Prologue is, if not essential, at least funny.
>>
>>9046185
What translation are you reading OP?
>>
>The women, unaccustomed to hearing such high-flown rhetoric, did not say a word in response; they only asked if he wanted something to eat.
>“I would consume any fare,” replied Don Quixote, “because, as I understand it, that would be most beneficial now.”

Fucking kek.
>>
What translations did you all decide on?
>>
>>9046624
That's a bad translation you have.
Try Samuel Putnam or that lady who did a translation in the early 2000's.
>>
>>9046668
Are you talking about that radical feminist that literally changed her name to "Gross Man"?
>>
>>9046670
First of all, it isn't "feminism" to believe in equal rights for men and women.
>>
>>9046676
Cuck cuck cuck! You have to go back!
>>
>>9046668
It's Edith Grossman's translation from the download link in the OP.
>>
Started yesterday and finished part 1. I went in without knowing anything about the novel except for it's about a knight and it's really good.

It's really funny so far, no idea how this will continue for such a long book though
>>
>>9046937
I'm pretty sure Part 2 changes tone a fair bit
>>
I didn't knew anything about the book besides the name, and i don't really know if i should laugh at his craziness or if i pity him.

So far is interesting, don't know how the story is gonna go from here...
>>
Did he actually lose his mind or is he just an autistic LARPer?
>>
Is it mandatory to read the Greeks before starting with Don Quixote?
>>
>>9047112
I'd say he is truly mad, he really believes in what he's saying and doesn't realize how people around him react
>>
Should I read the introduction by Harold Bloom? (first time reading this book)
>>
>>9047198
Yes
>>
>>9047112
A bit of both.
>>9047498
No. Fuck Bloom.
>>
>it's a "le leg stretching man jerks off about Hamlet every time he writes something" episode
It's good but just shut up you fat fuck
>>
These first chapters were very entertaining to read, Don Quixote is pure autism, it is probably even better in Spanish, because from what I understood from the footnotes, there is a lot of wordplay, especially in naming the characters.
>>
>>9046659
Some amazon review that seemed like it knew what it was talking about compared all of the major translations and named Tom Lathrop's as the best.
>>
OP, will you be making a new thread every day or will we use this one until it reaches bump limit ?
>>
>"Pay him now without another word; if you do not, by the God who rules us I shall exterminate and annihilate you here and now.”
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me you little bitch?

Is Don Quixote a /b/tard?
>>
I am not really sure what to expect at this point, expecting a monty python skit. Although I am not sure if I am supposed to laugh at Don Quixote or feel somewhat bad for him.
>>
>>9046582
>>9044339
starting thread listed grossman
>>
>>9047579
>No. Fuck Bloom.
Thanks for your input! I ended up reading it.
>>
you guys should have read lazarillo de tormes instead.
>>
>>9048907
You're supposed to do both, that's what's so beautiful about it imo.
>>
>>9046203
The same reason ladies laughed at your social retardation, but began to play into it.
>>
>>9048907
Both
Pity him because he'll never truly be able to be a knight for real, laugh with him because you know that it doesn't matter and he's happy either way
>>
Poor Don Quixote. He is just an autistic LARP'r who held vigil for far too long.

The fucking maidens tho kek
>>
>>9048946
And do you agree with me?
>>
>>9046582
Grossman, Harold Bloom likes it and they used it in the Easton Press edition. So far, it reads pretty well.
>>9048495
I think I might just start a new thread every day. Although, it might be easier for the janitors if we kept it to one thread.

If there are any mods looking at this thread (or participating in the read through) let us know what would be best.
>>
>>9049362
It's easier to keep bumped if you just keep it all in one thread. Less clogging up the board too.
>>
Grossman translation is nice. Comfy read so far
>>
The characters (including Rocinante) start growing bigger than you after the initial pastoral adventures.

Prepare to feel small.
>>
I guess we're just gonna keep it in this thread til bump limit?

I'm gonna start the day 2 chapters in a few hours.
>>
>it's a "dirty skank prositutes laugh at my boy Don" episode
FUCKING ROASTIES REEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: fucking_windmills.jpg (79KB, 800x599px) Image search: [Google]
fucking_windmills.jpg
79KB, 800x599px
WE ARE NOW APPROACHING DAY 2
Chapters 5-9

Windmill Giants Edition

What do you guys think about the dialogue between Sancho and Quixote, especially regarding the windmills?
>>
>>9049869
Lmfao
>>
>>9049873
It really makes me think about the duality of man.
>>
>>9049898
Explain
>>
I'm amazed at how humble the author is. And annoyed by Bloom's repeated allusions to Shakespeare. Couldn't he have talked about the significance and magnitude of DQ without comparing it to other works? I skipped over the whole thing.
>>
>>9049247
Well, it was so-so. I don't regret reading it because I get triggered by skipping parts of a book. I even read the genealogies in the Bible. Every time.
>>
I love how much of a smartass the narrator is. He's basically calling Don a raving retard whenever he gets the chance.
>>
>>9050037

Comparing everything to Shakespeare is kind of Bloom's thing.
>>
I just finished this book in December and I'm so excited for everyone about to get into it. It was one of the best reading experiences of my life.
>>
Fuck it, I'm in. I own the Grossman translation. Anything wrong with that one?
>>
>>9050294
are you me?
>tfw fin aussi decembraire
>>
>>9050303
no
>>
I'm genuinely sad most of you can't enjoy the beautiful version in Spanish. It really is something. I hope you like it enough to one day learn the language and become proficient enough to be able to read it.
Have fun.
>>
Is it day 2 today?

Pretty bored today and might catch up of so
>>
>>9049873
Quixote thinks he knows it all and Sancho is too gullible..

Also is Quixote the name he calls himself actually metal greaves
>>
I have to imagine don quixote as an angry 4channer all the time because we're reading this together
>let me attack these giants!
>uh no these are windmills
>REEEEEEEEEEE
>>
I missed the read-along for War and Peace, definitely not going to miss this one.

Wait for me anons, I'm going to catch up as fast as I can.
>>
>>9050397
Or maybe Sancho is the mastermind, the most accomplished genius in the history of literature.

You had not thought about that, had you?

The possibility will start getting opened as the book progresses...
>>
File: 1484785958358.jpg (191KB, 1058x1385px) Image search: [Google]
1484785958358.jpg
191KB, 1058x1385px
>Sancho replied that these clothes were legitimately his, the spoils of the battle of his master, Don Quixote, had won.
>>
BATTLE OF THE WINDMILLS WAS HYPE GODDAM
>>
Finished 'day two' chapters, things starting to get pretty crazy.

The basco fight was great, our hidalgo has some skills.

PS: Cervantes dropping the redpills on the Arabs was really something, the set of mind of a (almost) middle age man...

PS2: We will stay in this thread til the limit?
>>
>>9050355
I thought I knew enough Spanish to get through it but I really don't, I'm fairly rusty on mi espanol so I'll just have to settle for the English version with footnotes explaining the little puns of Spanish
>>
Anyone else wish they could be like Don? He's a man truly unhampered by self doubt, he just does whatever he can and is happy doing it
Also Sancho Panza is /ourguy/
>>
>>9050860
I guess so, in a similar way to how I feel about retards sometimes.
>>
>>9050860
>Who is this scoundrel that that has the gall to claim you as his woman?
>Watch, m'lady, as I dispatch this fool with my mace (plunger)
>What is this? A love letter (restraining order), my fair maiden? Oh you flatter me so!
>>
>>9050568
kek
>>
Does it get better?
>>
>>9051511
I read a few pages of it a while ago, but put it down again because I wasn't feeling it. This time around it actually seems enjoyable to read, although I did pick up the grossman translation, the one I briefly read before was rutherford.
>>
>>9050860
Kind of yes, i had the same feeling with the idiot. There is something impressive about this pureness. I really need to re read that one, it's been some time and there were some references to don quixote i think.
>>
>>9051529
No, I meant does it get more interesting or is it going to stay in this episodic format for the rest of the book? It's funny and satirical and all, but I don't think I can take 1000 pages of that.
>>
>>9051551
Dostoevsky based myshkin on Don Quixote. At least according to the introduction to my edition.
>>
The Don is unbearably autistic
>>
>>9051555
well your guess is as good as mine but I think it probably continues on like this
>>
Which Don Quixote do you guys prefer? Cervantes' or Menard's?
>>
>>9050838
Maybe a good split page edition exists? I really don't know how viable that can be as the original Spanish edition needs quite a lot of notes to be understood.
>>
I think the book is already a lot better with Sancho finally appearing. Can't wait to read more.
>>
Going to start reading before bed but I should be fine with the 1993 Wordsworth translation, yes?
>>
>>9052229
Sancho is one of the best things in the book. The dialogic structure is so nice, Don Quixote traveling alone wouldn't have the dynamism it actually has with Sancho's shenanigans
>>
kek'd when I magined Sancho as this guy
>dude that ain't no giant
>that's a windmill, man
>what the fuck
>>
Is Don Quixote the original Ken-sama?
>>
>>9052250
That's actually the point of the novel dummy. You can't separate Quijote and Sancho so there's no point in thinking about Quijote alone. This is way more evident in the second part.
>>
Hold up, is everyone still on Chapter 4, or have you all moved past that?

Is this Day 2 yet?
>>
>>9053089
Were on day two now Señor
>>
File: IMG_1451.jpg (62KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1451.jpg
62KB, 1280x720px
>it's a "Cervantes takes a whole chapter to shit talk literature he doesn't like and praise literature he does like" episode
>>
>>9053206
fug, I need to catch up.
>>
Is the Mohammed that Cervantes mentions in the book THE Mohammed, or some other one?
>>
>>9053290
Yes, THE Mohammed
He takes potshots at him all the time because obviously he's Spanish
>>
File: Marcela.jpg (144KB, 1139x733px) Image search: [Google]
Marcela.jpg
144KB, 1139x733px
DAY 3 READING HAS BEGUN
Chapters 9-12

An interesting ending to the sword fight, a tale of unrequited love, and poseur shepherds getting BTFO by a beautiful shepherdess.

What is the Shepherdess a symbol of? Is it still relevant today?

Also, my interpretation of the relationship of Don and Sancho is that Don represents human ideals and Sancho represents human realities.
>>
File: 1483989261074.png (519KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1483989261074.png
519KB, 1280x720px
This is the Dark Souls of literature.
>>
>referencing yourself by name in your own book

kek
>>
Loving this so far, especially the first 4 chapters, which are there to mock people who read too much fiction instead of living in the real world, like all the insufferable enlightened teenage "patricians" that this board is full of. Perfect book to read along with 4chan.
>>
>>9053750
Actually it's mocking people who read formulaic genre fiction you projecting dumbo
>>
>"“moreover, I think, and therefore it is true..."
It's the little things that make me giggle
>>
>>9050303
nope it's the best translation, it's been awhile since I read any of the intros but if I recall her philosophy for translating was just to recreate the experience of Don Quixote in contemporary english to the best of her ability rather than try to perfectly translate every line, which would destroy most of the magic probably
>>
>it's a "Miguel 'If You're Basque I'll Kick Your Ass' Cervantes is racist to basques" episode
Why does he hate basques so much? He laughs at and makes them the butts of jokes constantly, why is this?
>>
I'm glad to see that you guys are reading the Edith Grossman translation (or at least that's the one provided in the OP). Don Quixote is my favorite book, and after reading and comparing sections from every English translation I believe hers to be the best.

>>9047112
It's hard to say, and while reading you will probably change your mind about it many times. I lean towards the fact that he's not crazy, but I can't explain why without major spoilers. I think it's most likely a bit of both.

>>9048907
That's part of the wonderful complexity of the work. The narrator is biased but it seems that Cervantes in general wanted you to feel a strange mixture of pity and respect for Quixote. Especially during part 2 the narrator starts playing up the discrepancy between Quixote's apparent intelligence and his actions.

There are some historical notes that I wanted to mention.

-Cervantes was a marine in his youth and fought in the Battle of Lepanto. Despite being sick with a fever at the time he refused to stay below deck and was shot three times during the battle. One of the shots crippled his left hand. He was later taken prison by the Ottomans for five years. He had quite a few other adventures/misadventures but my point is Cervantes saw some shit before he ever put pen to paper. Much of Don Quixote's richness comes from Cervantes personal experiences.

-During the time the book takes place (around the turn of the 17th century), armor, swords, and spears were still in wide use in the battlefield. I get the feeling that people mistakenly believe Don Quixote took place much later than it actually did. "Suits of armor" would still be worn in war for about another 50 years, the last major war characterized by such armament being the English Civil War. Don Quixote's appearance is strange because the armor he's wearing is anachronistic. It's the armor from a couple generations ago, not the contemporary armor of his period which looked significantly different. Furthermore, people generally didn't go wandering the countryside by themselves in full armor regardless of the style. I generally don't like drawing comparisons between time periods, but it might be helpful to think of it as seeing someone LARPing as a WWII-era soldier walking down the street.

-If you want some examples of the kinds of works Quixote was reading, look into "Amadis of Gaul" and "Orlando Furioso". I don't actually like Orlando Furioso that much, and I have to agree with most of Cervantes' criticisms of the genre, but nevertheless it's an interesting read from a historical perspective and it has some fun moments.
Anyways, enjoy guys. If you finish this and want something a bit similar in tone I recommend Boccaccio's "The Decameron"
>>
>>9046185
"That is the nature of women," said Don Quixote. "They reject the man who loves them and love the man who despises them."

fucking lol it blows my mind that people had thoughts like this centuries ago. I mean it's obvious, but when you read something contemporary to Cervantes, like Shakespeare, you don't get this kind of self-awareness. These feel like modern insights. It's the same feeling I get when I read the graffiti in Pompeii, it's like, has nothing really changed?
>>
>hitting him square on his pillow and on his head.

Did he actually use a pillow to defend himself or is there some other meaning here? I mean he did have time to grab a sword after all.
>>
>>9053972
pretty sure he was using a pillow
and did he actually ever have a sword? i thought he was using a tree branch and pretending it was a sword

its been awhile since i read that part though
>>
>>9053983
>... for Don Quixote, twisted the sword of his adversary
>Don Quixote ... raced over to him, placed the tip of his sword between the Basque's eyes
>both in the postures recounted in the history, their swords raised, one covered by his round shield, and the other by his pillow

So I think they both have swords, the tree branch was for Quixote's replacement lance that was smashed earlier. And I took it that it was Quixote who had the shield and the other a pillow but unless it was just the nearest thing he grabbed it seems quite odd.
>>
>>9053989
i took it that don quixote had a pillow since unless you're not at that part yet don quixote loses part of his ear or something during that scene and i think it's because he was using the pillow?

again its been awhile im like 100 pages ahead, this thread made me pick up don quixote again
>>
>>9054000
I figured it out. In chapter 8
>replied don quixote. And after throwing his lance to the ground, he drew his sword, grasped his shield and attacked the basque.
Then
>The basque ... all he could do was draw his sword; it was good fortune, however, to be next to the carriage, and he seized one of the pillows and used it as a shield.
Makes sense now
>>
Don Quixote has a shield. Also lmao losing part of your ear is a Bible reference
>>
Playing with my nephew was kind of like Don Quixote in a way

Except instead of pretending to be a knights it was pretending to be human-eating aliens who kidnap humans and examine the muscles, bones, and organs in a medical fashion.
>>
>>9046185
Funfact: In order to be a knight you had to be named one by a proper knight and if you were named knight by someone who wasn't one then you could never become a knight.

It's a pretty fun fact desu. Basically Don Quijote is literally the non-knight.
>>
>>9054008
ahh thats it well my memory is shit
>>
How do you pronounce quixote?
>>
>>9054081
You speak truly my dear Anon, but isn't it so that the most illustrious of knight errantry, such as Don Olivante de Laura, El Cid, and even the great Amadis de Gaul were all chosen by divine providence, rather than the judgement of their fellow man, to be part of this most noble of professions?
>>
>>9054152
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQlUPchUblE
pay attention for first 10 seconds
its written there as quijote
but the J evolved from the x so they used to pronounced x as they now pronounce j.
>>
>>9046185
It certainly is comfy and enjoyable however Im too much of pleb to comment on its literary merit aside from the fact that Cervantes clearly did his homework with the Chivarly literature
>>
Anyone else feel like this isn't generating as much discussion as some of the previous reading groups (Monte Cristo, War and Peace)?
>>
>>9053512
>Also, my interpretation of the relationship of Don and Sancho is that Don represents human ideals and Sancho represents human realities.
I agree, I actually wrote down that Don Quixote is the ego and sancho is the self.
>>
>>9053788
>contemporary english
This is why ormsby is better. If I'm reading an early 17th century novel I want it to feel like an early 17th century novel.
>>
>>9054632
It is mostly satire of the genre for now, so there really isn't much to discuss up until this point.
>>
I greatly enjoyed the bit with the goatherds. Reminded me of The Odyssey with its recurring theme of guest-friendship. Despite being poor, they're able to live with virtue and honour. Sancho's line sums it up:

>Besides, if truth be told, what I eat, even if it's bread and onion, tastes much better to me in my corner without fancy or respectful manners, than a turkey would at other tables where I have to chew slowly, not drink too much, wipe my mouth a lot, not sneeze or cough if I feel like it, or do other things that come with solitude and freedom.

Perhaps this theme of humanity and guest-friendship will continue throughout Don Quixote's own odyssey?
>>
So, has anyone read about Nabokov's criticism of the book? He argued that mainstream interpretations were too optimistic and that the brand of humor used by the book was very cruel, IIRC
>>
Why isn't there a day 2 thread up yet?
>>
>>9055250
It's not really needed, just keep using this one till it dies
>>
What day are we on?
>>
>>9055299
Three. So up to and including chapter 12...
I think.
>>
This book is great so far. I really liked the storytelling within a story, reminded me of Wuthering Heights, the Canterbury Tales, and the Decameron.
>>
>"-almost two hours of entertainment..."
>2 hours
What did author no. 2 mean by this?
>>
>>9046624
>Cualquiera yantaría yo-respondió Don Quijote-, porque, a lo que entiendo, me haría mucho al caso.
it's 15th century spanish, hard to translate even to modern spanish

>>9046951
i think part 2 is regarded as worse and having a different style. it was published 10 years after the first one
>>
File: tumblr_okq0rshv1E1s3palto1_1280.jpg (320KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_okq0rshv1E1s3palto1_1280.jpg
320KB, 960x1280px
>>9055965
I like part two more to be honest. There's much more in the way of "errantry" and Don Quixote and Sancho's characters develop way beyond the satirical. I'm not even reading along, but I enjoyed this book way too much to not participate and lurk on this thread.
>>
Is anyone else here just listening to the Ormsby translation on Librivox?
>>
>>9046185
I'm German, which translation should I read?
The old one by Ludwig Braunfels or the new one by Susanne Lange?
>>
>>9056267
Actually never mind. I can't stand this bitch's obnoxious trilling of her r's.
>>
Loving the part where Sancho is lying about how he received all those beatings from staff wielding rustics
>>
>>9056468
That's beyond day 3, man. Slow down.
>>
>>9046185
How can you load ebooks without a computer on Kindle paperwhite?

Mine broke and the only one I have access to is running xp
>>
Wow I just realized that the image is just for part one, meaning I won't finish the whole book by the time my semester starts. Hope I'll still have time to read then
>>
>>9056468
>>9056565
Shit i read way too far ahead as well. It's such a smooth read
>>
>>9054701
idk if i was going for that i'd read smollett personally, but im too pleb for that, i like what i read but it just took too much time to digest for no foreseeable added benefit

and it does feel like an early 17th century novel to me still at least
>>
>>9057682
You can try sending them to your e-mail and downloading from the kindle, but I'm not sure if it is going to work
>>
>>9055106
i haven't read it but nabokov is an annoying contrarian

i found out about don quixote through borges, who is a real man not an ugly manlet like nibnob
>>
How is the rutheford translatiob?
>>
>>9053750
Missing the point this hard
>>
>>9046193
>IX-XII
>XII-XIV
>XV-XIX
>XIX-XXIII
this schedule is shit
>>
>>9059241
what is the point then?
>>
File: moretz.jpg (222KB, 1067x1600px) Image search: [Google]
moretz.jpg
222KB, 1067x1600px
>>9053750
Might be time for you to find a different hobby.
>>
Marcela BTFO'd everyone who thinks the friendzone is real?

Did she just go full feminist?

Is the patriarchy oppressing her?
>>
>>9058629
Fair enough, from the excerpts I've read ormsby, Rutherford and Grossman are all good (i would have been happy with any). I had a slight preference for ormsby because I like the older style.
I was put off by the fact that most people think that smollet didn't even know spanish at all.
>>
>>9056468
This whole part is amazing, had a good laugh while reading it
>>
>>9059060
I'm probably a pleb for saying this, but I like it. It's more modern but it keeps the comedy intact
>>
>>9059441
Grisóstomo got friend-zoned so hard by her that he died. Damn.
>>
Where is OP to announce the start of day 4?
>>
>>9060543
He gave up I guess.
>>
>>9060551
Fuck. Well, we had a good run, guys.
>>
Maybe he's already on the rest day
>>
>>9060993
Yeah, isn't today the rest day?
>>
>>9061015
Depends on your timezone I guess, for me it's still

Day 4: chapters XII-XIV (which is dumb because day 3 was IX-XII, so I only read two chapters today, XIII and XIV)
>>
>>9061035
Same, man. Wanna talk about it?
>>
>>9056565
Sorry, anon the chapters blur a bit for me.
>>
File: marcela speech.jpg (268KB, 800x628px) Image search: [Google]
marcela speech.jpg
268KB, 800x628px
>>9060561
>>9060551
>>9060543
Sorry lads, I was out late last night and the spurs game was on this morning.

DAY 4 IS UNDERWAY

Shepards BTFO edition

>>9059343
Yeah I kinda fucked it up, I'll fix it over the rest day that is TOMORROW.

Let's discuss Marcela's speech. Is she in the right? Is Gristostimo's (idk how to spell) death justified?
>>
>>9061035
OP again, I did that so we could finish up part 2 and then start part 3 after the rest day
>>
>>9061542
Everything she said was sound and correct. Even the men listening seemed to agree. Not really sure about Ambrosio though, as it wasn't said whether or not he'd still keep that epitaph (one which still condemned Marcela).
Grisostomo was just a beta fagboi.
>>
>>9061567
Well put my friend.
>>
File: 1480858259918.jpg (38KB, 546x678px) Image search: [Google]
1480858259918.jpg
38KB, 546x678px
>>9056295
Please respond :(
>>
>>9061692
Sorry mate, I guess there are no other germans in this thread. I don't speak the language, but if I were you, I'd read the newer translation.
>>
>>9061838
Yes thanks, I guess I'll go with the new one, after all, the only reason why I was unsure is that I own the old translation but the new one is from a library.
I wanted the feeling of reading something I OWN, but I've overcome that.
Also, I new the anime picture would work.
>>
>>9061853
Good luck anon, I hope you have enough time to catch up for part 3
>>
>>9061692
Maybe ask in a German thread on /int/, if there is one.
>>
File: 1486259570558.jpg (120KB, 392x495px) Image search: [Google]
1486259570558.jpg
120KB, 392x495px
>tfw started today and already caught up.
>wanna read woth group but also wanna go ahead
>>
File: 1479422767779.jpg (69KB, 500x421px) Image search: [Google]
1479422767779.jpg
69KB, 500x421px
>when Sancho has to poop but is too scared to leave Don Quixote's side so he drops it right there.

I looked retarded laughing so hard at a book in the library.
>>
>>9061978
I'm on page 300, but I try to keep my posts to the read through content
>>
>>9061982
hey ur like 3 days ahead take it easy
the way he wrote how quixote smelt it though had me on the floor
>>
>>9062013
Oh shit sorry, I thought I read that it was ~40 pages/day and we're on day 4 or 5.
I've never laughed that hard at a book in my life.
>>
>>9062044
it just keeps getting better and better
>>
I like how Cervantes not-so-stealthily shits on a bunch of chivalry books in the library chapter
>>
>the book is literally about an autistic LARper obsessing over his waifu

i thought Notes From Underground was the classic novel that best described 4chan
>>
>>9053641
This is some postmodern ass shit right here. I'm astonished that this was written in the 1600s.
>>
File: Dulcinea_is_best_waifu.png (1MB, 2016x778px) Image search: [Google]
Dulcinea_is_best_waifu.png
1MB, 2016x778px
DAY 5: NO READING TODAY

What's your favorite part so far?
Favorite line?

My favorite line would have to be:
>The sun mounted so rapidly and
with such fervour that it was enough to melt
his brains if he had any.
>>
>>9063047
every line i wanna quote is still too far ahead fug
cant remember anything specific before XVIII
>>
>>9063047
when sancho literally had a
>muh sides
moment.
>>
>>9063077
u referring to the fulling hammers? cos thats way far ahead still

otherwise refresh my memory
>>
>>9063082
oh, sorry, you're right. i've already read the first half recently, stopped for a breather before reading the second, figured i'd participate since it was fairly fresh in memory. i'd read it long ago, but only remembering feeling the dam break into the second book, and everything finally becoming funny, before then, i didn't know that don quixote was supposed to be funny.
>>
>>9063095
>before then, i didn't know that don quixote was supposed to be funny
lol

to be fair though don quixote is borderline depressing with how brutal/tragic it is so i could've seen myself doing the same thing
>>
>>9063136
>spoilers
use spoiler tags...
I'm leaving the thread
>>
Anyone else struggling to get the full humor of it? I think it might be because of it being 450 years old but I find it more so stupid it's silly than actually funny? Idk how to explain it properly
>>
>>9047546
Jesus no
>>
>>9047498
It doesn't hurt, and he writes well. I could hardly agree with him but he merits attention
>>
>>9063242
uwot
>>
>>9063242
Either you need a better translation or you need to read more.
>>
>>9061692
I'm german and i read the english translation, it's easy to read and it seems to fit more with the thees and thous.
>>
>>9063333
Or a better sense of humor.
>>
Is the whole book going to be torture porn about Don Quixote and Sancho, I already feel bad for them.
>>
>>9063950
They eventually kill everyone.
>>
What did you guys do on the rest day?

I started reading The Mezzanine, and I love it.
>>
>>9064865
Jacked off all day tbqh.
>>
>>9065047
I masturbated too...

Wish I just read books every time I fapped; I'd already be through the Western Canon.
>>
>>9065088
Lmao
>>
Am I wrong in thinking that in the original novel Don Quixote spoke in middle Spanish, while everyone around him spoke in early modern Spanish?
>>
>>9065872
>dat high falutin language
>all those plebs that don't understand me
>muh Dulcinea
>that sancho, what a blockhead, he hurt my feelings
>welp, gotta do capers in the mountain to show my love for muh Dulcinea
>>
>>9065872
that's how it is, yeah
>>
>>9065872
You are about half-right. Hi, I'm Spanish speaking anon. Just about everyone talks with some outdated words and colloquialisms (or at least with jargon that you wouldn't hear outside of Spain itself), but Don Quixote speaks in even *older* Spanish. Sometimes you'll see Sancho asking for clarifications on the meaning of some words when his lord goes on his ever virtuous monologues. And much like x on Quixote used to represent a "j" phonetic sound, our Don uses the even older "f" sound for words nowadays written with an "h."
>>
>>9056256
I'm in the process of finishing part 2 and I have to say I agree. The pacing is much better and I agree that the character development is overall better.
>>
File: IMG_0716.jpg (123KB, 1024x676px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0716.jpg
123KB, 1024x676px
DAY 6 READING HAS BEGUN
CHAPTERS 15-19

I haven't finished it yet so I won't ask you any questions this time
>>
>>9061542
Marcela wrecking 'nice guys' was one of the most satisfying things I've read in months
>>
>>9046624
I have no idea what I just read
>>
>>9061853
A bit late but I'm reading the old translation atm. Also read the prologue of the new one. It's really just a difference of old vs. new style and the old translation isn't hard to read.
>>
To think I'd been putting off reading this for years. It's actually really good.
>>
just about to start my day 6 reading before bedtime. i've been busy today but want to start another book alongside this since i'd usually read more in a day but want to read along with the group - does anybody have any ideas as to what would be good to read alongside it?

nothing too similar so stuff doesn't get mixed up, maybe something shorter... are any other anons reading another book at the same time too?
>>
>>9054220
>used to pronounced x as they now pronounce j
I thought they used to pronounce x as "sh" and all its uses just evolved towards their current j because of arabs
>>
>>9070004
I'm reading 1984 because a friend keeps recommending it to me. Short and simple at least, so it won't be confusing me or anything while also reading Don Quixote.
>>
DAY SEVEN READING IS EMINENT
CHAPTERS 19-23

>fucking hammers
>>
Is it me or is the whole bit with the goat herders strangely earnest? It didn't feel like satire and Don Quixote got to actually "aid" a "damsel in distress" for once, which in a way was an ACTUAL "damsel in distress" and really as beautiful as everyone said. No one mocked him on the way, for instance, the innkeeper did and some of the travelers even offer to let him join them.
>>
Is Don Quixote representative of a social justice warrior, he goes around claiming his deeds are for good but he is too disillusioned to realise nobody requires his deeds and then plagues everyone around him. Sancho even tells him his actions are wrong but he is too confident in his false ideas that he cannot listen to reason.
>>
>>9072599
Also if anything is wrong he hss a mystical cause to blame, just like saying this idea of patriarchy.
>>
>>9071602
day7 best day
>>
>>9072030
which part are we talking about again
i cant tell if you're talking about the Ragged Knight or what
>>
The Tom Lathrop translation is so much more readable than Grossman's. I'm gonna type up a comparison later on
>>
>>9072662
Nah I'm a day behind schedule
>>
>>9072599
He is an idealist, and that is what is beautiful about him. He believes in a good too far gone from his time and that never existed (le golden age). He tries his earnest to help and right all wrongs.
The great difference between him and sjws is that his world is genuinely not a very nice place (he gets beat up a lot), while sjws invented their own evils (they do the beatings).
>>
>>9046185
Fuck Don Quixote
>>
>>9054152
The archaisc Spanish pronunciation was like the current Freanch: Qui-shotte. So you can say Qui-shotte or qui-ho-tay
>>
>>9074182
Quality post
>>
>>9054152
key-jo-tay
>>
Hello, I am just seeing this for the first time. Which edition should I download?
>>
>>9074414
Read the thread, fool
>>
>>9074425
there'd be spoilers, fag. don't talk to me (or my son) ever again
>>
>>9061982
Now's the right time
>>
>>9074657
The one used by OP is apparently Grossman so use that if you want to be in the same page
>>
>>9074720
The days are split by chapter, use any one you want.
>>
File: Zebu.jpg (1MB, 1912x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Zebu.jpg
1MB, 1912x1440px
>tfw behind
>>
>>9074862
That was a figure of speech
>>
Poop scene best scene
>>
>>9074884
Kek
>>
In regard to chapter XXII:
I was wondering about something. In the Grossman translation that I'm reading, one of the guards says:
>"Because they say no has even fewer letters than yes-"

While this is true in English, isn't it not true in Spanish (sí and no)? Just wondering if the spelling of sí or no changed over time, or what the original text says.
>>
File: Cardenio.jpg (96KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
Cardenio.jpg
96KB, 620x413px
DAY EIGHT HAS ARRIVED
Chapters 24-27

Hang in there friends! Tomorrow we rest!

The reading for today consists mostly of the tale of Cardenio and Luscinda. Apparently, Shakespeare wrote a play based on this section of the novel.

Are there any parallels between Cardenio and Don Quixote?

Also, I sincerely hope that most of you guys are keeping up with the reading. In any case, please fill out this poll so I can gauge whether or not we will need more rest days.

http://www.strawpoll.me/12293504
>>
>>9072739
how long is the audiobook?
>>
>>9075759
Grossman edited the meaning of the text. Lathrop has:
>"because they say that NAY has as many letters as YEA
>>
Do you guys think we'll get to Part Two? I'm currently planning my reading schedule.
>>
>>9078194
Of course we will, my baby boy.
>>
>>9078246
T-that's what you said for the Iliad reading group and look what happened to that!
>>
>>9078367
Yes, but you must believe.
Thread posts: 239
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.