[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fiction vs non-fiction

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1485464304732.jpg (104KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1485464304732.jpg
104KB, 640x640px
Which one do you prefer and why? What value do you think fiction provides that non-fiction doesn't, and viceversa? What do you think of books that mix both genres?

All of my life I've been quite balanced (I believe the majority of readers are), without paying too much attention to the distinction. But as of lately I've notice that some do pay attention to it: some think fiction is a waste of time, some think non-fiction is boring, etc.

I'm interested in your opinion.
>>
>>9045006
>Which one do you prefer and why?
Fiction usually, I like a concise story that can deliver it's themes with an interesting and compelling story than a blatant book about X, there are exceptions though, I do enjoy philosophy texts but it really depends on a moon and focus
>What value do you think fiction provides that non-fiction doesn't, and viceversa?
Like said, I think it's about how compressed and concise it is, books like Lord of the Rings might be big as hell word-count wise, but it's still a compelling story about corruption and power with an interesting world made by a linguist expert
>What do you think of books that mix both genres?
I haven't read too many of those, I suppose Tolstoy stories could be seen as both considering they're fiction, historical and also examine Tolstoy's beliefs as an effect on the story, etc

I'm probably wrong about like half of this though im not very smart
>>
The vast majority of what I read is fiction. I like the stories, different structures, and all that kind of thing. Usually I find non-fiction pretty boring, but I'd read history books if there wasn't the problem of being presented with distorted facts or complete fabrications. I guess with history you'd have to read many books on a single topic to get a clear picture of it, but with fiction it's sort of the point to be given the author's perspective.
>>
>fiction/non-fiction dichotomy

it's all narrative, brother. except a lot of poetry and some drama, superior literary forms imho
>>
>>9045006
/lit/ = literature, friendo

(So fiction, obviously)
>>
>>9045095
Literature is not necessarily fiction.

There's medicine literature, for example. It's just "body of essays/texts on a topic."
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.