[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Flash Fiction

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: postgay.png (58KB, 597x751px) Image search: [Google]
postgay.png
58KB, 597x751px
Does anyone have any experience writing micro-fiction? There's a competition coming up for my university and it's just incredibly hard. I'm enjoying it a lot though, I think it's a wonderfully transferable skill. I'd be grateful for feedback on my first, quite underwhelming attempt, and some advice and pieces from anons who've produced a few stories like this.
>>
>>9044285
Anyone?
>>
>>9044285
How did you write this? What were you... Tell me about the process, the motivation. What does it do?
>>
>>9045329
I was reading on a little up on Pyrhonnism and was thinking if it was possible to suspend judgement in order to avoid lying. I kind of felt there was a link there to our modern culture, where information has become so permeated and cheap we've almost lost sense of reality. So I wanted to write a tragedy where a man tries to avoid a culture incapable of truth, but he's so poisoned by it (really if I had more words, I'd extend the sickness thing) that it's futile, so he kills himself as a final remedy for honesty. I like bits of it, I hate other parts, but my real motivation was if I could actually put a tragic character into a thought experiment.

It was a really limiting project, but I enjoyed it and I'd be curious to hear about other anon's attempts with this sort of thing.

Does the piece fall flat to you? I think plot is a major weakness of mine, which is why I'm finding flash fiction both rewarding and difficult.
>>
>>9045411
The vibe is a little inspired by One Hundred Years of Solitude, but I toned it down after a first draft because the surrealism hurt the very brief bits of character.
>>
>>9044285
read joyce. that's my suggestion. pretty good shit, m8. don't sell yourself too short.
>>
>>9045425
Thank you anon. I've actually only just started university at Dublin and I can't wait to begin with him, but I feel when I do, they'll be an inescapable influence for so long.
>>
>>9045436
where you say redflecked is something that joyce did a lot in ulysses,
>The sea, the snotgreen sea, the scrotumtightening sea.
you'll be hard put not to get inspired by some of his settings make sure you don't skip portrait of an artist, i feel as though the discussion on beauty is the greatest thing i have ever read, and especially this excerpt utterly blew me away, as it appealed to some rumblings within me that sounded much the same.

-Lessing, said Stephen, should not have taken a group of statues to write of The art, being inferior, does not present the forms I spoke of distinguished clearly one from another. Even in literature, the highest and most spiritual art, the forms are often confused. The lyrical form is in fact the simplest verbal vesture of an instant of emotion, a rhythmical cry such as ages ago cheered on the man who pulled at the oar or dragged stones up a slope. He who utters it is more conscious of the instant of emotion than of himself as feeling emotion. The simplest epical form is seen emerging out of lyrical literature when the artist prolongs and broods upon himself as the centre of an epical event and this form progresses till the centre of emotional gravity is equidistant from the artist himself and from others. The narrative is no longer purely personal. The personality of the artist passes into the narration itself, flowing round and round the persons and the action like a vital sea. This progress you will see easily in that old English ballad Turpin Hero,nl which begins in the first person and ends in the third person. The dramatic form is reached when the vitality which has flowed and eddied round each person fills every person with such vital force that he or she assumes a proper and intangible esthetic life. The personality of the artist, at first a cry or a cadence or a mood and then a fluid and lambent narrative, finally refines itself out of existence, impersonalizes itself, so to speak. The esthetic image in the dramatic form is life purified in and reprojected from the human imagination. The mystery of esthetic like that of material creation is accomplished. The artist, like the God of the creation, remains within or behind or beyond or above his handiwork, invisible, refined out of existence, indifferent, paring his fingernails.
—Trying to refine them also out of existence, said Lynch.
>>
Sorry... this is terrible it's very bad. Very empty and nebulous in the worst possible way. There is no promise here. Not good at all.

I mean this very seriously, you will never be a successful writer, do something else or you will have regret.
>>
File: comfy.jpg (29KB, 197x190px) Image search: [Google]
comfy.jpg
29KB, 197x190px
>>9044285
I write a lot of flash with the intention to release a collection online soon to get my name out. A lot of it barely passes a page or two in length.

I feel its a great way of sorting out your ideas and I've learned to trust my gut with how long of a life my thoughts and ideas actually have. Its kind of a self editing tool to not drag out stories born from one line or a bad joke that really have no depth to them beyond a paragraph or two. Very handy in sorting out your ideas you really feel have meat to them and arent just a creative snack.
>>
>>9046370
Thanks but I'm not planning on doing anything else or taking advice written in broken English too seriously either,
>>
>>9045436
kek you pseud retard, trust me you don't have to worry about escaping Joyce's influence, I'd stick to trying to espcape the influence of video games first
>>
>>9046592
You write like a freshman who thinks superficially parroting expression patterns of writers you were told are important means anything insightful or creativitive.
You're like a toddler with a toy steering wheel copying Mammy, fooling yourself you're driving the car too
>>
>>9046731
>>9046711
Post your own work then, you sound very bitter.
>>
>>9046396
Post your stuff man.
>>
>>9044285
This is awful. I cringed and wrinkled my face and pulled all sorts of ugly grimaces while reading it. Don't make me read anything like this again.
>>
>>9047304
What was so wrong with it? I only want to improve. Do you think I should make it chronological? Is something wrong with the prose? Is it just empty?

Please anon, I only want to write, so I'll either keep getting poor advice and force anons to read more shit, or I might actually improve.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1485727069369.jpg (29KB, 615x409px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1485727069369.jpg
29KB, 615x409px
>>9046915
I would but fear of theft is high (not that I'm worthy of being robbed). I would LOVE some way of posting my flash online regularly without fear of it being stolen and it being completely and legally all mine. I want to build a minor following or at least a couple of bored people who like what i write. But with the internet the way it is, and websites like instagram and tumblr, for example, "owning" the content of others, it's tricky.
>>
>>9047787
There's multiple ways/layers of being a good writer
>good storyteller
The pacing is good building suspense so on, I'd say this is all Stephen king is good at
>good prose
Beautiful to read think Nabokov
>deep thoughts
Just what it says think Someone like dosto
>good story
The plot
Probably a few others...
For a short story it is different in how to accomplish each in some ways, for me yours does none of them. It's also offensive in how hard it's trying to be I don't even know what, it's very forced. What do you think it does well?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.