[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mr Updike's Literary Contribution

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

File: updike.jpg (119KB, 1050x709px) Image search: [Google]
updike.jpg
119KB, 1050x709px
What does /lit/ think of John Updike? Does he get his due desserts?
>>
What's Updike?
>>
>>9043220
Language!
>>
File: slaughterdyke.jpg (2MB, 3470x2326px) Image search: [Google]
slaughterdyke.jpg
2MB, 3470x2326px
>>9043237
good
>>
File: abosulute slot.jpg (2MB, 2745x1857px) Image search: [Google]
abosulute slot.jpg
2MB, 2745x1857px
>>9043241
FUCK; I MEANT NOT MUCH
>>
He was really really effective in portraying the dreariness and trappings of the middle class American dream. Hate his works because of how effective it is.
>>
>>9043255
Does his stuff have anything for non-Americans?
>>
>>9043220
turbo-pleb who thinks pynchon is a hippy (can't get any dumber than this)
>>
"Rabbit, Run" made me hate people.
>>
File: Trump.jpg (31KB, 469x360px) Image search: [Google]
Trump.jpg
31KB, 469x360px
>>9043220
>>
Enjoyed his novel Gertrude & Claudius, but only because I have a fascination with Hamlet.
>>
bump because the op of the other thread is a faggot
>>
Talented writer with ideas I disagree with.
He's like a dick that everyone puts up with because he's so damn good at what he does.
>>
Literally a white male.
>>
>>9044053
Go back to your safe space, cuck.
>>
>>9044088
>>9044092
Reminder that irony doesn't belong here anymore because 4chan is strictly a counterculture website.
>>
>>9044053
Which of his ideas do you disagree with?
>>
>>9043220
One of the GOAT American prose stylists, decent storyteller, realistic. Roger's Version is my favorite Updike book.
>>
>Maybe the only thing the reader ends up appreciating about Ben Turnbull is that he's such a broad caricature of an Updike protagonist that he helps us figure out what's been so unpleasant and frustrating about this gifted author's recent characters. It's not that Turnbull is stupid ... It's that he persists in the bizarre adolescent idea that getting to have sex with whomever one wants whenever one wants is a cure for ontological despair. And so, it appears, does Mr. Updike -- he makes it plain that he views the narrator's impotence as catastrophic, as the ultimate symbol of death itself, and he clearly wants us to mourn it as much as Turnbull does. I'm not especially offended by this attitude; I mostly just don't get it. Erect or flaccid, Ben Turnbull's unhappiness is obvious right from the book's first page. But it never once occurs to him that the reason he's so unhappy is that he's an asshole.

UPDIKE BTFO

http://www.badgerinternet.com/~bobkat/observer1.html
>>
Excellent writer who I have no interest in.
It's fun to recall that DFW article where he speaks of a woman who referred to Updike as a "penis with a thesaurus".
>>
>>9044098
Excellent post
>>
>>9044098
>>
>>9045030
>>9044053
>>9043255
This. You can only really enjoy his work if your a depressed male WASP who low-key hates his wife and kids
>>
>>9045017
>>9045030
I used to get pissed off at this review, because the only thing I had read was Rabbit, Run, and I thought it was clear that just because Updike writes about an asshole doesn't mean he is one.

Then I read his short stories, the rest of the Rabbit Tetralogy, The Centaur, and The Couples before getting bored of it and realized the son of a bitch does, indeed, seem to have something fundamentally wrong with him.

He's a really great stylist, don't get me wrong. Probably the best of all time (yes, I'd go that far). His books have given me more joy than many of the books I've read, and I've read a lot of books. But holy shit, he seems to have something fundamentally wrong with the way he views people. He can't write about anything or anyone else besides sociopathic petty middle-class people. So it becomes easier and easier to think that Updike, too, is just this same sociopathic petty middle-class non-entity, covering up his psychological emptiness with pretty prose. Philosophically and psychologically, his books are total shit, and proof that a book must be more than pretty to have worth. This is what makes Nabokov better than Updike, IMO.

He's a great stylist, though, can't deny that.
>>
>>9045017
>Judging Updike by his worst novel, written when he was beyond senile
>>
>>9045017
Why is it that DFW felt justified in calling out narcissistic American male novelists when he himself was one? His whole bag is self awareness is it not?
>>
>>9045089
Do you really not understand the problem with asking this question?
>>
>>9045086
>implying the lack of tact didnt just reveal who he truly was as a writer, and that his final novel is his most honest
>>
File: wat.png (694KB, 1039x769px) Image search: [Google]
wat.png
694KB, 1039x769px
>>9045084
good post
>>
>>9045099
I mean I do, yes, but he still rubs me the wrong way
>>
>>9045110

DFW was a hypocrite. Literally, too autistic to reconcile the fact that "performance" is part of being human. Tried to subvert post-modernism/self-awareness by using those same techniques to criticize the cynicism that he saw as endemic to our culture. Attacked hollow tranagressive lit, yet used those same techniques in his writing. His attempts to be sincere were forced, and ultimately, insincere.
>>
>>9045101
How does "lack of tact" equate to 'more honest'? If anything his last novel is his least honest, i.e. deluding himself into thinking he's still something he's not.
>>
>>9045017
Idk, I really liked "Towards the end of Time"
>>
File: w1.png (735KB, 1364x764px) Image search: [Google]
w1.png
735KB, 1364x764px
>>9045017
>And so, it appears, does Mr. Updike

Whatever happened to disassociating the author from his characters?
>>
>>9045465
*dissociating

Also I just realized that silly paragraph was written by DFW.
>>
>>9045141
Is this why he killed his wife and kids with the oven??
>>
>>9043220
I have no interest. I'd rather go full jew and read Roth.
>>
>>9045916
y tho
>>
>>9045141
>TFW unsure if you misspelled transgressive or it's some new 4-dollar DFW thesaurus-dredged fuckery I've never heard of.
>>
>>9044053
>He's like a dick that everyone puts up with because he's so damn good at what he does
The Clapistani Martin Amis, then?
>>
Damn, some good posts in this thread. Is it because Updike isn't a meme?
>>
>>9043268
I'm >>9043255 and non-American. I felt like I found his works more depressing because of that, because it's a lot easier to look in from the outside and point out the similarities I guess?
>>
>>9047658
The meme trilogy is the pinnacle of literary excellence.
>>
>>9047658
>tfw I've been trying to subtly push Updike on this board for years and some prick makes a great thread on what is likely his first try
Fuck you OP

Rabbit Redux is my favorite Updike, I think it's pretty relevant to today's political and cultural scene. Probably the most relevant it's been since it came out. It's also so very well crafted and pieced together. I'm inspired to improve my own writing whenever I come back to it.

As a whole I don't think anyone can describe Updike better than Gopnik: "Updike's great subject was the American attempt to fill the gap left by faith with the materials produced by mass culture. He documented how the death of a credible religious belief has been offset by sex and adultery and movies and sports and Toyotas and family love and family obligation. For Updike, this effort was blessed, and very nearly successful."
>>
The real question is Updike or Roth
>>
>>9048209
That may be the case, but it's hard to have intelligent discussion about them here amongst the memes.
>>
>>9048283
Roth is better overall. Updike is the better stylist.
>>
>>9048283
Updike, Roth's prose makes me want to blow my brains out.
>>
>>9049902

What's wrong with Roth? Reading American Pastoral right now.
>>
>>9048283
Roth desu
>>
>>9048537
Yep, don't really think there's a better place for discussion however, unless you organize a book club or something.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.