[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reading Shakespeare - Where To Start and How

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: WS.jpg (295KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
WS.jpg
295KB, 1200x1200px
How do I begin reading Shakespeare? Where do I start with his writing? What should I know before getting into it? How should I review what I've read?

The last time I read him was 3 years ago in high school and my teacher revealed more in Hamlet than I ever would have been capable for seeing if I read it myself. How do I read the texts so as to not have deep, meaningful prose go over my head?
>>
>>9036205
Just read it, if you're too stupid to understand it go watch Netflix like the rest of your ilk
>>
>>9036218
Historical plays ? tragedies ? any title ? looks like you're too stupid to figure out what a useful answer would be. Also I'm not even OP.
>>
Just read it, and don't look at the annotations every time they have one just because they are there. Try to get the words from context, then if the sentence still doesn't make sense, check it.
It's hard to understand if your reading isn't smooth. Don't be afraid to read scenes a few times in a row. You will get more once you know what happens.
>>
start at the beginning
>>
>>9036260

I have no problems with the actual sentences. I'm more worried about losing out on irony that occurs throughout the play, or noting out contradictions, double meanings, puns, etc.

Take for example in Karamazov the interactions and symbolism between Lise and Ivan. Or the philosophical density of The Grand Inquisitor. That's the sort of stuff I don't want to miss out on when I read Shakespeare.
>>
>>9036275
>>
What's the best edition of Shakespeare's works?
>>
>>9036205
Get the Arden editions - they have long (100+ page) introductions, tons of footnotes in the plays themselves. The footnotes almost read the play for you.
>>
Just read him as you would read any other author. Read for the characters, their stories, and their voices. Be entertained and awed. Looking for stuff like "deep meanings" will come naturally as you become a more experienced reader and reread Shakespeare's plays over life (and yes you will reread Shakespeare's plays over your live if you aren't a disgusting pleb).

Good plays to start with are Romeo & Juliet, Twelfth Night, or Henry IV part 1.

Some people say you have to watch the plays on stage or screen, but desu most Shakespeare productions just plain suck. Also, you need to go slow and muse over his writing in your head.
>>
To truly understand you have to deconstruct what it means to be Shakespearean.
Read all major works of fiction (I say major but really you should read ALL) published since Shakespeare's last work was written. From there you should be able to to see how Shakespeare influenced literature.
Then and only then should you read Shakespeare.
But this all assumes you started with the Greeks.
>>
>>9036328
congratulations, you are the biggest tryhard pseud on /lit/
>>
>>9036334
Thanks. I used to post on /r/books but I was told this is a better place for pseudo lit discussion.
>>
File: CjCJggoVAAArz5h.jpg (32KB, 520x498px) Image search: [Google]
CjCJggoVAAArz5h.jpg
32KB, 520x498px
>>9036374
>>
barampu
>>
File: NgUNIfy.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
NgUNIfy.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>9036429
Now i know where the Jordan Peterson hate suddenly came from. It's as if a foreign entity has taken root here and is poisoning the well with their bullshit. Can all reddit fags please leave .
>>
Richard III is the best starting point.
>>
File: 1481912785905.jpg (202KB, 717x880px) Image search: [Google]
1481912785905.jpg
202KB, 717x880px
>>9036429
>booktuber
>exciting young adult literature

you have to go back
>>
>>9036218
>loves literature
>doesn't want to share it with people
You're gonna be sad for a long time
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.