[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

War is hell

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: 240485.jpg (32KB, 260x400px) Image search: [Google]
240485.jpg
32KB, 260x400px
What are the best war books /lit =
>>
War & Peace is pretty good
>>
>>9034808
already read is amazing
>>
Band of brothers, voyage au bout de la nuit, thin red line - so I've heard but stopped reading at blowing each other in a tent part, didn't like it much. One of Coetzee stories about war in RSA don't remember the name, maybe it was Foe? Sturm by Junger.
>>
Anything by Andy McNab
>>
>>9034797
Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T. E. Lawrence
>>
>>9034797
On the Marble Cliffs by Junger is his take on later 20th century "war"
Matterhorn
Vaino Linna's Unknown Soldiers
>>
Catch-22
>>
The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer is a good memoir about a German soldier on the Eastern Front during World War Two.
>>
war & war
>>
Is James Jones /lit/
>>
>>9035633
(James Jones)
>>
>>9035633
I thought you were talking about David Jones and my joke failed terribly.
>>
All quiet on the western front
>>
Johnny got his gun
>>
>>9034797

Achilles in Vietnam: Combat Trauma and the Undoing of Character by Jonathan Shay
Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T. E. Lawrence
World War II by James Jones
Dispatches by Michael Herr
Dulce et Decorum Est by Wilfred Owen
The Face of Battle by John Keegan
Goodbye, Darkness by William Manchester
Guadalcanal by Richard Frank
James Jones: A Friendship by Willie Morris
The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane
War Poems by Siegfried Sassoon
The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane
War Poems by Siegfried Sassoon
You Can’t Go Home Again by Thomas Wolfe

And despite the unease caused by his immense popularity, Dan Carlin used to have some lists around of his recommendations that are all around solid
>>
My diary desu
>>
>>9034797
War and War (war and peace) seemed a lot of war and little love and peace. Would be better if someone changed the names to...Joe Smith and Jane Doe, anything but 25 letter names that seemed the same. What a bore, but he wrote a short one about an angry old man that I enjoyed, but it was war inside him.
>>
>>9034854
Coetzee is the man.
>>
The Iliad
>>
File: picador75.jpg (55KB, 566x859px) Image search: [Google]
picador75.jpg
55KB, 566x859px
>>9035628
made me giggle ty anon

ive never been really into str8 up war novels but more around literary responses to war, if youre into that too, then i suggest:

slaughterhouse v - vonnegut
americana/the naked lunch - don delilo
catch 22 - joseph heller

currently reading this, very interesting ideas and well worth the effort of reading (i say that because the book is littered with obscure references on an unclear narrative structure)
>>
>>
File: 1971304.jpg (20KB, 315x475px) Image search: [Google]
1971304.jpg
20KB, 315x475px
>>
>>9034797

War is fucking boring with 1% chance of hell. Most soldiers never even see combat, or even the enemy.
>>
>>9034797
>>
Shattered Sword by Jonathan Parshall is basically the definitive work on Midway right now, and debunks a lot of commonly held beliefs that resulted from usage of inaccurate Japanese sources.

Ordinary Men by Christopher R. Browning.

The Coldest Winter by David Halberstam. It'll make you hate MacArthur.
>>
>>9037803

That's why books focus on the 1%
>>
>>9034797
T H E I L I A D
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.