[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a word to describe a risk not being neutralized, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: t3_5752gs.jpg (741KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
t3_5752gs.jpg
741KB, 2560x1600px
Is there a word to describe a risk not being neutralized, but the opposite -- the bad possibility takes place. For example, if you risk losing your job, and you actually lose your job, then...

The risk of losing his job _________
>>
materialised

It sounds ugly, I know, but there really aren't any perfect words for this.
>>
>>9034754
was affirmed (closest to "positive" instead of neutral)
when in doubt use a simile
>>
>>9034865
The idea of risk is conceptual - if the hypothetical event actually takes place, it crosses the boundary into reality and becomes material. I don't think the affirmed is enough, since a supposed risk can be substantiated or affirmed through mere statistics rather than the event actually having to take place
>>
>>9034754
coalesced? developed? substantiated? took form/shape? came to pass? emerged? corporealized? manifested? actualized?
>>9034853
materialized is fine too
>>
>>9034853

In that case these should be okay too

>realized
>actualized
>>
>>9034886

Yes except from emerge. If a risk emerges it becomes evident or comes into existence.
>>
we're all scrambling to find a word that doesn't make any sense. OP has wrongfooted us with his question. you wouldn't say that the risk of losing his job 'neutralized'. it's impossible to come up with an antonym that works in the context because the original word doesn't work in the context.
>>
>>9034895
You have to interpret the world "neutralized" as a negative. The risk was revoked, cancelled, removed, as opposed to confirmed.
>>
>>9034895

The risk of losing his job was neutralized. Sorry still learning English.
>>
When you talk about risk you're talking about the probability of something happening. I think materialised is the best answer here, cause you're saying that a hypothetical situation takes place.

The point here is that it's not a threat or an imminent situation that's bound to happen in the near future with certainty, it's just a probability for the fact to occur, to materialise, to come true, and it could happen or not. You cant 'confirm' a risk
>>
>>9034754
where is that?
>>
>>9034934
>cant 'confirm' a risk
Lots of people disagree with you there. Investors, preachers, gamblers, drug pushers...idiots.
>>
>>9034754
Came into fruition
>>
>>9034754
An actuary wild probably say realized
>>
>>9037053
OP posted a wording matter, I dont know how what you say is relevant.

If you throw a coin enough times, it's bound to come heads/tails eventually, but you dont 'confirm' the risk of tails. When you throw it and you get that result, you just fell into a forseen 50%.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.