[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does cosmic horror still have a place in the modern world?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (721KB, 1800x1021px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
721KB, 1800x1021px
As a society we seem to have become more accepting on a certain level of our insignificance in the universe and more aware of how much we don't know. Compared to Lovecrafts time we seem to have lost our certainty in importance in the universe and of our knowledge of the world around us and as such cosmic horror seems to have lost its teeth. Today society seems to have moved on and perhaps the most effective horror appears to be that which focuses on our isolation within society and being alone within a crowd while struggling to deal with the kafkaesque bureaucracy of modern governments and the disconnect between the state and its people. What do you think?
>>
>>9034339
I don't think we've moved on so much as just stopped thinking about it.
I literally get a vertigo like anxiety when I'm out in the country and recognize the milkyway
>>
>>9034361
yeah vertigo is a good word for that feeling I get looking up at the stars, or sky for too long.
>>
>>9034339
You just need to read other "cosmic horror" authors than Lovecraft.
>>
>>9035703
Such as?
>>
>>9034339
The horror of everyday life in the 21st century is at once a kafkaesque-bureaucratic horror and a lovecraftian cosmic/body horror. Probably with something of PKD, Gibson, Land, and Baudrilliard on the side for added mindfuckery. The political economy has revealed itself as an enormous, inhuman death machine, cybernetic, biopolitical and near omnipotent. A conspiracy which has long outgrown the need for conscious human conspirators.
>>
>>9035744
Anyone he talks about in Supernatural Horror in Literature - Machen, Blackwood, Chambers, Hodgson, etc. And after that period Clark Ashton Smith + Ligotti.
>>
File: 3853953.jpg (26KB, 300x475px) Image search: [Google]
3853953.jpg
26KB, 300x475px
>>9035756
>at once a kafkaesque-bureaucratic horror and a lovecraftian cosmic/body horror.
My Work Is Not Yet Done pretty much epitomizes this idea
>>
File: image.jpg (39KB, 246x414px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39KB, 246x414px
>>9035744
Robert Aickman is GOAT. Also check out Walter de la Mare, or Gustav Meyrink/Hans Heinz Ewers for the more European branch of weird fiction
>>
>>9034339
>more accepting
top kek. No, people are bigger Platonists than ever.
-violent support of universal normative ethics
-ascension of systematics to godhood (countless people reduce every moment of their lives to something numeric.)
-the violent attacks on 'fake news' and 'alternative facts'

Cosmic Horror is not effective because Platonism has made them numb to it. One is not afraid of something unbelievable.
>>
>>9035783
You are very misinformed on what Platonism is.
>>
>>9035795
I'm not, you are.
>>
>>9035783
Everything, even life itself, is reduced to 'scientific' measurements and economic calculations, while people are becoming both increasingly tribal and increasingly atomised. Liberal democratic universalism was just a cover for powerful financial and military interests. It's quickly becoming impossible to keep that pretence. Expect shit to get much worse.
>>
>>9035763
>>9035776
Thank you.
>>
>>9035744
Richard Sharpe Shaver. He's an unrecognized genius. Unlike Lovecraft he was schizophrenic and actually believed in the cosmic horrors he wrote about.
>>
>>9034361
>I literally get a vertigo like anxiety when I'm out in the country and recognize the milkyway

where do you go to see the stars like that?
>>
>>9034339

Lovecraft used the fear of the unknown as his base. When those unknowns weren't so unknown, he had to find new horizons.

Immigrant quarters > Countryside > Tropics > Under the sea > Antartica > Space

Also "Dreams".

I don't know where you go next... alternate dimensions? I guess Dreams fit that. Maybe its a pendulum and we'll swing back to the earlier stuff.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.