[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Books on the Relevance of Computer Science

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: drillrun.jpg (26KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
drillrun.jpg
26KB, 600x600px
Hello /lit/, apologies if this subject doesn't quite fit into the board smoothly, I wasn't sure where to ask. Are there any books showing the significance of Computer Science, from a more philosophical light? Or any books on why Computer Science is interesting from a purely intellectual perspective, without the pragmatic benefits it may or may not bring to the economy?

Thanks in advance, pic unrelated
>>
>>9033930
>>9033930

I genuinely apologize if this inquiry from a 19-year old college student was inappropriate for /lit/

I simply wasn't certain exactly where to find this kind of book I was looking for, doing so more for personal curiosity than anything else. If this thread is truly inappropriate, I will happily delete it
>>
>>9033938
take your cs shit elsewhere
>>
>>9033922
I'm interested in this too. I hope someone produces recommendations.
>>
>>9033922
Try "Godel-Escher-Bach" by Hofstadter (sp?)
>>
next time how about you think of more relevant boards before you decide to shit up other boards
>>
>>9034643
Don't be so binary.
It's all connected, anyway.
Language, and precision of language is extremely important in computer science, for example. And besides, OP's asking about fucking books.

Stop shit posting and start studying.
>>
>>9036039
But literature is what, all, I have to make myself feel, seem, smarter. If someone comes along and starts talking about computery gadget mathings, and reminds me that there is such thing as 'the economy', how is it not as if my own self delusions flutter into mist, leaving me with a whole lot of naught, and from that vacuous volume, a single tear, a single scream, seeping from the depths, gaining, gaining in volume.
>>
File: 4chan.gif (52KB, 900x300px) Image search: [Google]
4chan.gif
52KB, 900x300px
>>
>>9033922
I'm sorry to say I cannot recall the name of the book on computer programming that seems relevant. It was worth the read.

It was not in depth programming or any particular language, it was merely the logic and basic stuff as it relates to analysis and conclusions. AND how it applied to WRITING concisely.

It was either in the computer section or the philosophy section of dewey decimal system library (001-300 or something similar). It was 6x9" format or smaller.
>>
>>9033922
>The Art of Computer Programming, Donald Knuth
It was written as a textbook but you can glean a lot of philosophy from it. Also has some of the most aesthetically pleasing code ever written.
>>
>>9033922
Check out the fantasy section at your local library
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.