[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

W.G. Sebald

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (17KB, 208x242px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17KB, 208x242px
Why doesn't our friend Sebald get much attention here?

All knowledge is enveloped in darkness. What we perceive are no more than isolated lights in the abyss of ignorance, in the shadow filled edifice of the world.

...a mighty oak, a sow, a sausage, a piece of excrement, a field of clover, a white flower, a mulberry tree, a silk carpet. Much as in this continuous process of consuming and being consumed, nothing endures...On every new thing, there lies already the shadow of annihilation. For the history of every individual, of every social order, indeed of the whole world, does not describe an ever widening, more and more wonderful arc, but rather follows a course which, once the meridian is reached, leads without fail down into the dark.
>>
>>9033372

Not memey enough.
>>
He's incredible. Along with Coetzee and Bolano, one of the three most important writers of the last 25 years. And I sat that while basically ignoring the Emigrants and parts of Austerlitz. It's a pity that both of them - despite their style - end up essentially being apologies for the Holocaust, boring.
>>
>>9033507
I agree with you on Austerlitz (I haven't read Emigrants yet). It was good, though at the same time frustating... Vertigo and Rings of Saturn are way better.
>>
>>9033372
>For the history of every individual, of every social order, indeed of the whole world, does not describe an ever widening, more and more wonderful arc, but rather follows a course which, once the meridian is reached, leads without fail down into the dark
Wat

Was he making a simultaneous reference to Pynchon and Blood Meridian or is this hivemind
>>
>>9033537
The Emigrants is much much worse than Austerlitz as far as the whole German guilt thing goes...at least in Austerlitz it's wrapped up in a story and not just a 'hehehe they're all nazis' garbage.

Vertigo is such an odd and wonderful book. It's like Proust mixed with Borges and Kafka.
>>
>>9033541
For comparison

> The way of the world is to bloom and to flower and die but in the affairs of men there is no waning and the noon of his expression signals the onset of night. His spirit is exhausted at the peak of its achievement. His meridian is at once his darkening and the evening of his day. He loves games? Let him play for stakes. This you see here, these ruins wondered at by tribes of savages, do you not think that this will be again? Aye. And again. With other people, with other sons.

As for GR, it's obvious if you've read it that he gets really close to namedropping the title but never quite does it, so it's hard to choose a specific passage

> But it is a curve each of them feels, unmistakably. It is the parabola. They must have guessed, once or twice -- guessed and refused to believe -- that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return. Yet they do move forever under it, reserved for its own black-and-white bad news certainly as if it were the rainbow, and they its children
Is possible

Basically, what did Sebald mean by this?
>>
>>9033507
Forgetting Krasznahorkai
>>
>>9033602
That was me.
I've had Melancholy of Resistance on my shelf for a year, haven't gotten to it.

Mind giving me a sort of summary of his sort of outlook/style/value?
>>
>>9033609
While I enjoy exploring Sebald's dithering rabbit trails, I find the sheer density of Krasznahorkai unpalatable. This is coming from someone who has an unhealthy obsession with all things Hungarian.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.