[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth the money? I still haven't ready any of them btw

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: 9780147505606.jpg (14KB, 400x199px) Image search: [Google]
9780147505606.jpg
14KB, 400x199px
Is it worth the money? I still haven't ready any of them btw
>>
Pretty much yes.
>Humanity's best
>Infinitely influential
>Extremely rereadable
>>
The Iliad and Aeneid were required textbooks for a class I had last semester, I found two .epubs of them online and saved $100.

Fagles' translation makes for a smooth read but you don't need to buy it unless you wanna make your bookshelf pretty. Also the frayed edges of the pages are the best part
>>
I read Fitzgerald!
>>
>>9025016
Interesting historically but iliad is pretty much over explained messy genre fiction and Odyssey is overrated.
>>
>>9025309
If you enjoy literature you should read these stories. This guy discouraging you from doing so (if you didn't mean to, that's what you're doing anyway) is whack and should silenced.
>>
Fagles is inferior in every single way compared to Fitzgerald or Lattimore
>>
>>9025016
I read the Fagles Iliad and Odyssey in pic related, and the Fitzgerald Aeneid. They are good, and >>9025024
is right about the frayed edges, but I've also read and enjoyed the Project Gutenberg editions on my Kindle while on the elliptical. If money is your worry, save it for other works you can't acquire for free.
>>
I just got the black penguin versions since they were cheaper. Please don't fall into the trap of thinking that buying these expensive products are going to change you in anyway.
>>9025309
The iliad is beautiful poetry though, if you've only read one translation you might not understand that though. I agree that the odyssey is overrated though.
>>
>>9025016
No. Learn Greek before you read Homer.
>>
File: Classics-edit.jpg (1MB, 2384x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Classics-edit.jpg
1MB, 2384x2000px
>>9025016
Absolutely. The translations and notes are good, and the texts are essential. I don't have them as a boxed set, but I like the Fagles.
>>
>>9025309
t. pseud
>>
>>9025309
This is how translations distort your view of great literature.

Don't fall for the translations meme.
>>
File: 1484829280430.jpg (5KB, 250x247px) Image search: [Google]
1484829280430.jpg
5KB, 250x247px
>>9025016
>The Aenid in a trilogy with the Iliad and the Odyssey
This fucking triggers me. The Aenid was written hundreds of years after Homer's epics, in a different language, in a different culture, and it's entirely distinct stylistically. This is just a fucking meme to sell to stupid college kids.
>>
>>9025398
Presumably the back cover of the book explains this. Get mad stay mad die mad.
>>
>>9025436
Why stop at Virgil? Might as well add Ovid, Dante, and Milton in there too.
>>
File: 1452409933574.jpg (37KB, 348x342px) Image search: [Google]
1452409933574.jpg
37KB, 348x342px
>>9025016
>reading FAGles
>>
>>9025374
So i just learn greek then?
>>
>>9025441
Ovid is in a league of his own
MAYBE Dante was on par
>>
>>9025459
Yes. It's not that hard if you're intelligent.

>>9025462
Homer > Ovid >> Virgil
>>
>>9025016

Is it worth taking your broke ass down to the library and checking them out for free?
>>
>>9025016
I have that version of the Iliad (bought cheap at a used bookstore, had read a pirated copy of the same edition on my kindle) and the Aeneid, which I actually read in that format.

The book itself is comfy and durable, stood up well to me carrying it all over for a few weeks. It has deckle edges though, which side-page-turning-peasants fucking hate

t. top-page turning master race.
>>
>>9025398
Horseshit. The Aeneid was constructed as a response to the "national epic" of the Iliad, as a fucking direct sequel to it to rival the Greeks, and to connect Rome to the Trojans as a patriotic point. Have you read them? Jesus, it's literally "what the Trojans did next."
>>
>>9025561
And? It's literally in a different language. Virgil is a completely different poet than Homer.
>>
>>9025016
You can just buy them in the normal Penguin Classics versions if you want. They don't only come in the Deluxe edition.
>>
>>9025596
I also see these individually a lot at used book stores for pretty cheap.
>>
>>9025365
Now that is an impressive bookshelf
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.