[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Workshopping / writing feedback

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: den_dilollo.jpg (27KB, 261x307px) Image search: [Google]
den_dilollo.jpg
27KB, 261x307px
Where do you go to get feedback for your writing? I've always found crit threads on /lit/ to be pretty lacking in terms of organization and consistency (plus privacy).

Do you have a trusted group of friends or writers in geographic proximity? Use public Google Docs for the commenting features. Any other websites or forums?
>>
>>9022382
just write a tough guy novel with some abstract themes and send it to gordon lisch to cut up for you.
>>
Be careful about who you take writing advice from in general.

As much as I love /lit/, I don't value any writing advice or criticism I see on here.

For one, you kind of need some creds to be giving out writing advice, which most everyone on the web in general won't have. Those who have probably won't be eager to give out a lot of advice, because they'll be busy fucking working.

Even if you do find someone who's got some cred, their opinion may or may not be valuable to you. Like....Stephen King thinks that Hemingway was an awful writer, so that goes to show you there's no accounting for taste either.

I wouldn't take any advice at all, unless you know exactly who it's coming to, their credentials, and if you actually value that person's opinion.

In short though, this is why most writers will just tell you to do your thing, find out what you like to write, write what you want to write, try new things, and have faith in what you like, and don't worry a lot about what others say. Really the best advice you're going to get.
>>
>>9022400
>>9022414
So in the case of those writers/editors whose opinions you do trust (rather than random internet folk), would you be willing to pay for editing or feedback?

My initial thought was, if I had a writing group or friend group, it could operate on more of an "I scratch your back, you scratch mine" basis, but I doubt that extrapolates well to strangers/professionals.
>>
>>9022520
>would you be willing to pay for editing or feedback?

I'd only pay if I knew their credentials, and actually respected their work.

If you find some writing partner that you respect their opinions and their work, then sure, but like you said not a great chance of finding that guy.
>>
File: your-opinion.gif (3KB, 161x160px) Image search: [Google]
your-opinion.gif
3KB, 161x160px
feedback is for people without the confidence to stand behind their work as it is.
>>
>>9022922
Agreed. As long as your story is coherent, you will always have people who appreciate it and people who don't.
>>
>>9022414
>.Stephen King thinks that Hemingway was an awful writer
Hemingway IS an awful writer. So is King though.
>>
>>9022922
>>9022931
>feedback is for pussies who dont understand muh great works

>there will always be people who like it and those that dont (most of the time you are the only person who likes your work)
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.