[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hegelian Works

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

Hey /lit/,

I'm not a usual lurker but I know this is the place to ask. Lately I've been picking up some heavy books about different political ideologies, their evolution and mainly what their underlaying foundations are. I've been reading particularly Marxist theory and a common recurrence seems to be Hegel.

I've been thinking of starting to read some Hegel but here is my problem. I seem to be almost incapable of understanding many philosophical texts and concepts, I don't know if I'm a brainlet or what but I have a fucking hard time with philosophy.

Now I've been reading about Hegel and apparently he is particularly difficult to read without previous knowledge of Aristotle and Kant, and also translations from german to english (or spanish which is my native language) seem to not be quite good. The same thing I experienced reading Adorno's aesthetic theory. I speak german but I don't speak it well enough for superior philosophical texts (I just got my C1).

My question is, with all the aforementioned information what is a good introductory book for Hegelian philosophy?
>>
>>9021350
philosophy ain't easy bruv.
you've gotta practice reading texts.
>partly, you'll get better at it, and
>partly, knowing about different authors/concepts/possible influences/references
will allow you to be better at it. I haven't figured out which is the cause but I think it's a bit of both.
Also Hegel is difficult even with knowledge of Aristotle and Kant, but I think if you don't Aristotle and Kant (which you will never know 100%) you will have trouble understanding much of philosophy generally. I also really hate Adorno, fucking prick.

I'd say keep reading Hegel himself. Or read, for example, prologomena by Kant, it is his own summary of a critique of pure reason. Unfortunately I don't know enough about Hegel to know if he's primarily influenced by critique of reason or judgement or other writings of Kant.
I've heard good things about Frederic Jameson's book on Hegel(ian Variations? I think?). But most books about Hegel are more about the interpretation of that notoriously difficult text rather than about Hegel himself.
>>
>>9021434
>I also really hate Adorno, fucking prick.
Why though?
>>
>>9021434
>I also really hate Adorno, fucking prick.

I don't hate Adorno, I meant that is difficult to understand him in spanish since it is said that Aesthic Theory's translation was taken too literally in the first edition which resulted in some conflicts in the explanation of the concepts because of the way he wrote and also the inherent nature of german language.
>>
>>9021486
>also the inherent nature of german language
Sorry what?
Spanish and German speaker here, can you give examples?
>>
>>9021535
Esto es lo que pone en el prologo de mi edición:

“Mientras que las frases de Adorno son comprensibles, aunque no fáciles, las frases traducidas lo son pocas veces, algunas de ellas lo impide, simplemente, la falta de traducción de algún término que existe en el original alemán, otras, la mayoría, es por una traducción mecánica, casi automática, sin preocupación por el sentido de la frase (que normalmente no lo tiene en castellano). El remedio es traducir de nuevo el texto, comprendiendo su sentido en alemán y expresándolo en castellano, trabajando con las reglas hermenéuticas más elementales, pero no por ello más obvias.”
>>
>>9021434

Everything here is right except for "keep reading Hegel himself." That's like telling someone to just keep reading an advanced physics textbook - sure, they'll eventually glean something useful from it, but it's a much inferior strategy to reading elementary texts and building up.

Aristotle and Kant are definitely the most immediately necessary philosophers to read, but they're both rather difficult in their own rights. I think that in order to both practice reading philosophy and to go even further back down the chain of influence, you should probably go Plato -> Aristotle -> Descartes and/or Hume -> Kant before taking a crack at Hegel. Plato and Descartes are very accessible, and are relevant to understanding Aristotle and Kant respectively. Hume is a bit more difficult, though still on the easy side, and is directly relevant to Kant.

Happy reading
>>
>>9021589
Thanks guy
>>
>>9021350
they say that Hegel's prose was horrible. That might also be the reason.

But if you want to read into Hegel, I propose you watch philosopher TL;DRs in youtube channel School of Life so you at least get the idea.
>>
>>9021350

Obviously, Hegel constructs an interlocking system; but if your prime objective is to understand his relationship to marxism, then you can focus primarily on his political philosophy and philosophy of history. These tracts ( Lectures on the Philosophy of World History and The Philosophy of Right) ultimately spawn the posthumous left-right Hegelian orthodoxies. As a young man, Marx initially forms a part of this left Hegelianism, before then actively rebelling against it in favour of his own conception of historical materialism.

The best books available to chart this journey imo are as follows:

Hegel-- Peter Singer (extremely easy mode)
Hegel: A Biography-- T. Pinkard
Hegel--Frederick Beiser (great clarity and also offers strong introductions to Hegel's philosophy of mind and dialectic)
Hegel’s Theory of the Modern State-- S. Avineri
The Young Hegelians and Karl Marx-- D. McLellan
The Social and Political Thought of Karl Marx-- S. Avineri

Hegel is not easy. These secondary texts (with the exception of Singer) are not a walk in the park either. Also be sure to consult the Stanford Encyclopedia. It was always a useful resource when I studied thinkers.
>>
>>9021600
Been meaning to get into Hegel thanks
>>
>>9021657
anytime
>>
>>9021350
desu look up Gregory Sadler's videos on yt, he goes through it passage by passage
>>
>>9021350
he isn't difficult though!
>>
>>9021589
Is reading Plato really necessary? I made it through Descartes and Hume without any serious difficulty, but I just find Plato's style so tedious.
>>
Prepare to be Hegel pilled
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.