[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone please explain this quote from Pascal to me? “The

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

Can someone please explain this quote from Pascal to me?

“The only thing that which consoles us for our miseries is diversion and yet this is the greatest of our miseries. For it is this which principally hinders us from reflecting upon ourselves and which makes us insensibly ruin ourselves. Without this we should be in a state of weariness and this weariness would spur us to seek a more solid means of escaping from it. But diversion amuses us and leads us unconsciously to death."

He does not mean a literal death but rather a symbolic one in which our "soul" dies and we do not think deeply about ourselves as human beings right?
>>
File: 1484769985994.jpg (69KB, 453x576px) Image search: [Google]
1484769985994.jpg
69KB, 453x576px
>>9020713
Are you the same person that posted this exact question within the past couple of days?
>>
>>9020719

I posted it yesterday yes. I need better answers quite frankly and since I am an alcoholic I don't have the capacity to learn on my own right now sorry.
>>
>>9020713
I don't think it's a symbolic or inner death. As far as I know, Pascal doesn't mention that kind of death( that is, death of the soul whereas life itself hasnt reached its end yet). Several christian authors do (there's many kinds of "death" in St Augustine), but to me it doesn't suit Pascal's thoughts and style.

Also, more generally speaking : diversion is miserable, but it actually IS necessary. It's not like it would get you to hell. Diversion takes you away from yourself, but it's not like you could be close to God without diversion anyway (for it doesn't depend on you).
>>
>>9020723

Sort yourself out you waste of skin
>>
>>9020743

Look I need to sort myself out I'll give you that but I am not a complete waste of skin I might get into med or law school

>>9020739

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback.
>>
It's pretty straight-forward...

>>9020723
But OK, I'll have a go.

1 - Life sucks and then you die.
2 - You seek diversions in order to diminish the suckiness of life.
3 - Said diversions can be seen as actually make life suckier though, because diversions, by definition, aren't constructive.
4 - Specifically, Pascal is saying that while pursuing diversions, we stop paying attention to other more important shit relating to our being.
5 - So if we had no diversions, we would more easily notice our shortcomings, and be spurred to work on fixing them, thus making life suck less because we have less and less shortcomings as time goes by and we keep on fixing that shit.
6 - But diversions take the time we should be using to fix that shit, while on the other hand offering amusement which makes life seem less sucky, even though, given that diversions are used as means of escape, we're ensuring that shit is actually suckier by the road by ignoring what we should fix through these diversions.

Something like that.
>>
>>9020754

Now I understand. Time to move on and read more of Kierkegaard. Thanks.
>>
>>9020754
quick remark on 5 & 6 : the only thing close to "fixing that shit", in Pascal's view, is to kneel down and pray.
>>
>>9020713

read infinite jest anon
>>
Stop being diversed, then you will see the result.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.