[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Philosophy in Today's World

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

Why does philosophy keep trying to insert itself into everything? Yes, philosophy requires critical thinking, it's good exercise for your mind, it allows for lots of awesome ideas to arise, etc.

What it doesn't do is find the Higgs Boson. It doesn't find the cure for cancer, it doesn't find the best way to build a bridge, etc.

Philosophy should stop trying to insert itself and take credit for what science is doing, or imply that it's finding as many answers today as science is. If pointing that out is being "unappreciative" of philosophy, then fine, I'm unappreciative.

It's a variety of methods by which humans believe they gain understanding, including the field of theology, which relies on relevational truths (as opposed to empirical ones). However, as many have noted, relevational truths don't offer us a number of things that empirical models do (like validation, consistency, or explanatory and predictive models). To say that we should study all of the fields encompassed by philosophy, including ones that have piss poor track records, strikes me as the opposite of wise.

If that interests you, then even though you don't need my blessing you have it. By all means spend time studying and cogitating on the various epistemologies, ethical systems, and modes of analysis. If you find something ground breaking that will change the world, let us know. But the rest of us are fairly happy letting philosophers handle that while we navigate through a world that appears to be governed by empirical and naturalistic principles.

At the end of the day, Philosophy is, too often, word play untethered to the findings of relevant scientific investigations and uninformed by our understandings of linguistics and general semantics and, therefore, useless in the pursuit of an understanding of reality, unlike STEM. You know I'm right.
>>
File: thinking .jpg (58KB, 1024x564px) Image search: [Google]
thinking .jpg
58KB, 1024x564px
really makes u think
>>
That's a philosophical question.

>>/his/
>>
Why find the higgs boson? What purpose is there in curing cancer?
>>
>>9019114

Why is understanding reality important?
>>
File: NO SHIT.jpg (59KB, 490x490px) Image search: [Google]
NO SHIT.jpg
59KB, 490x490px
>>9019114
Yeah, I agree with everything you say. But the thing is, philosophy and philosophers have always tried to put and insert philosophy in all things they can because it is their fucking job. And philosophy itself has never tried to assert itself as the ultimate science or tried to take any credit for any of the new discoveries in Science. Even Ludwig Wittgenstein never tried to make philosophy into something important, and said that he only did it "because he enjoyed it". You're missing the point, philosophy never tried to be something objectively "useful" for anything in the first place.
>>
>>9019114

>What it doesn't do is find the Higgs Boson. It doesn't find the cure for cancer, it doesn't find the best way to build a bridge, etc.

The scientific method is philosophy :^)
>>
>>9019854
That's no fucking argument.
>>
>>9019114

Philosophy teacher here. You're right, OP.

Who practices philosophy ? Mainly philosophy teachers. Now try to think like a philosophy teacher. You want more respect, you want more money, you want fame. So what u gonna do ? Write popular essays on everything, from Game of thrones to reality TV. Try to promote any controversial and stupid idea, like animal rights, so that you're an "expert" in this field (oh please is there any University that needs an expert like me ?). You offer philosophical "consulting" for CEOs. You host a TV show. You write funny articles in newspapers (articles don't even have to be smart, it's ok if your signature says "philosopher").

I don't do any of these things, I'm happy teaching in high school and making a living out of it, society certainly doesn't owe me more. But yeah, being paid for writing bullshit would be nice too.
>>
>>9019804
bcuz nigga
>>
>>9019114
>philosophy has to be useful
Nice try, sophist.
>>
File: 30659.jpg (95KB, 309x475px) Image search: [Google]
30659.jpg
95KB, 309x475px
>>9019114
>What it doesn't do is find the Higgs Boson. It doesn't find the cure for cancer, it doesn't find the best way to build a bridge, etc.

No but it helps many people guide their life, how to live it best and decide what's the right thing to do.
>>
>>9019114

You're doing philosophy right now.
>>
>>9019114
>Why doesn't philosophy do [thing unrelated to the field]?
Geez I don't know OP, why doesn't psychology teach us how to build bridges either?
>>
>>9019114
>Why does philosophy keep trying to insert itself into everything?

You already fucked up, kid.

Philosophy's domain IS everything. It always was.
>>
>>9019945
Shittily. Very shittily, but yes, he is.

Follow this line of inquiry to its end and he may finally realize what he should have realized from the start.

>>9019114
Oh, and before I forget...

START WITH THE GREEKS
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.