[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think of Vonnegut?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

What do you think of Vonnegut?
>>
wrote one good book.
>>
>>9018850
I like what I've read so far:
Cat's Cradle
Slaughterhouse Five
and about half the stories in Welcome to the Monkey House.
I'm reading Player Piano now and I am enjoying it. I also think it's relevant in light of the recent U. S. election and the importance of manufacturing jobs in it.
>>
>>9018850
He's pretty hit or miss. I love Slaughterhouse 5, God Bless You Mr. Rosewater, Cat's Cradle, and Breakfast of Champions. Most of his other stuff is decent, but some of his later books are thinly veiled rants disguised as novels (Slapstick and Timequake)
>>
>>9018850
I read Sirens of Titan recently, I really enjoyed it. Was recommended by a friend to read it, he said to read Player Piano too.
>>
>>9018850
(((meh)))
>>
>>9018853
As someone who's read nearly his entire oeuvre this is unfortunately true. Slaughterhouse and Cats cradle were important because of their social commentary but if we're being honest most of the rest can be skipped unless you want more of that.
>>
>>9018853
Went through a Vonnegut phase and I agree. S5 is good, skip the rest.
>>
Breakfast of Champions and Slaughterhouse-Five are pretty enjoyable. Some of his other stuff is hit or miss though.
>>
>>9018853
Come now, he has at least two with S5 and Sirens of Titan
>>
>>9018850
I've read Mother Night and I didn't enjoy it much at all. Haven't bothered reading anything else of his.
>>
>>9018850
Sirens is his only genuinely good work. It's his least smug and doesn't lean on personality to make its ideas appealing.
Slaughterhouse was fun but it's only real virtue is brevity.
His smugness borderlines arrogance too often for my taste. He has some neato ideas but neato expires quickly. I like Vonnegut, but he's constantly challenging that

>>9018860
Player Piano was crap. And I'm not just saying that as a manufacturing major and machinist; it would have been fine as an exaggerated examination of America's future but he treated it like it was prophetic. The Indian ambassador guy was ham-fisted and the writing was less than graceful. It would have been a lot more likeable if he didn't take it seriously.
>>
>>9018850
Mildly amusing every once in a while, occasionally moving, but mostly juvenile in a grating way. Best read sparingly if at all.
>>
>>9020667
Mother Night took itself a lot more seriously than most of his other books did, which was awkward to read with how sloppy his storytelling as a whole tends to be. Try Slaughterhouse five.
>>
shit "pomo" for redditors and stemfags
>>
>>9018850
Vonnegut is a really good writer but at the same time his primary audience is people aged 16-25, usually males. A lot of people dislike him for that reason which is fuckin dumb but whatever
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.