[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Speed Reading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: shutterstock_163580435.jpg (628KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock_163580435.jpg
628KB, 1000x667px
Speed reading thread:
Is it real? Is it fake? How fast do you read?

Also discussion of speed reading apps. I wanna try Spritz, any anons have experience with it or similar apps?
>>
>>9017612

It's both real and fake.

What I mean is that it's literally just learning how to skim well. A lot of speed reading guides I've read outright tell you to skip entire passages that look "unimportant".

It's only useful for reading for pure information, such as the news or if you have to read for work. If you read literature this way you're an asshole.
>>
Speedreading boils down to maintaining comprehension by skipping all the 'unnecessary' details. In other words it's worthless if you wish to enjoy fiction
>>
>>9017630
>>9017624

Wow, that's crap. Do people really do this?
>>
>>9017612
Are you in a hurry?
The time you save from reading faster you will otherwise spend on shitposting here.
>>
OP here. I'm pretty aware of how bs most of that skimming type stuff is but I'm interested in methods that don't take away from details but streamline the ability to read, i.e. reduce distraction, improve eye movement, quicker cognition. Although those might be just as phony, I don't know.
>>
>>9018169
You sound like a subvocalizer
>>
>>9018182
practice
>>
Use it for self-help books because those contain tons of repetition and only a few good ideas. I read a 300 page self-help in 2 hours. I didn't learn any techniques, I just skimmed by only reading the big words in each sentence and skipping irrelevant "example" paragraphs. It still made total sense. Also, spend 10 minutes summarising the book after you are finished and you'll never have to read it again.
>>
>>9017612
It's real, I think.

STEP 1: Begin by covering all but one line. Drag your finger along that line at a steady and quick, but not so quick you can't read any of the words, pace.

Read along with the pace of your finger as fast as you can, uncovering and moving to subsequent lines as you go along.

Increase your speed as you improve.

STEP 2 - Old Shaolin Eye Training Exercise:

Take an item, or a page, if you prefer, and stare at it for a few seconds. Then close your eyes, holding the mental image of the item or page in your minds eye with as much clarity as possible for as long as you can.

If you've chosen an item, you can touch or hold it while you have your eyes open, but put it aside when you close your eyes.

As soon as the image starts to fade from your mind, reopen your eyes for a few seconds and concentrate on the item again. Then re-close your eyes and concentrate on the mental image.

Do this as often as you feel like to increase your ability to soak in and retain visual information quickly.

NOTE: The most important thing is to read often. Without that, you won't acquire any skill comparable to speed reading.

Over time these techniques have greatly improved my ability to read quickly. I can now take in whole paragraphs (usually about 1/3 pg max) at a glance - when I'm in the zone, and therefore read an entire page in about 3 seconds.

As you progress to that stage however, I've found that you must keep yourself from speaking the words you're reading in your head.

If I start to mentally voice the words, I lose the ability, and have to refocus.

I'm no pro at this, but I hope it helps.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.