[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

I feel like such a fucking idiot whenever I get to Kant. I get the universalisability thing to a point, but then confuse myself by wondering what extent one's circumstances play into the situation. It's not okay to steal but is it okay to steal if you are starving to death and would otherwise die? How far can you consider the individual circumstances of the situation before it becomes universalisable for anyone named Greg who is 6ft tall to steal bread if it;s a Thursday etc.

I know I must sound like a dolt and I know I just need to read more, but if anyone has any helpful opinions on Kant I'd love to hear them.
>>
>>9013735
Kant himself was lost in a maze of moral relativism. He isn't relevant anymore after Nietzsche.
>>
>>9013735
Would you be OK if everyone whos starving stole a loaf of bread?
If yes then go haed
>>
>>9013735
> but is it okay to steal if you are starving to death
There can be no "if". An action cannot be good "if" X while bad "if" Y.

Actually your question about "how far..." etc. doesnt sound dumb to me. It's worth discussing, and it's definitely an issue.
>>
>>9013735
You didn't quite understand Kant's view on ethics. The mechanism is very simple: you are not allowed to do *anything* that doesn't follow the categorical imperative. For example, if a drooling madman with an axe broke into your house in the middle of the night and asked "Where is your daughter?", according to Kant you would only have 2 options: 1) tell him the truth 2) stay silent
>>
>>9013868
But if everyone was silent all the time...
>>
>>9013735
> DUDE LIKE THIS GERMAN ASKED A BUNCH OF QUESTIONS, STOP YOUR LIFE AND CULTURE AND FOCUS ON SOLVING THESE PSEUDO-PROBLEMS THIS AUTIST RAISED

aristotle for life, bitches
>>
>>9013850
so is talking always okay regardless of what you say or is it never okay
>>
>>9013868
Did he really not understand how retarded he was? Was it autism?
>>
>>9013931
>not Nietzsche 4life
what a fag
>>
>>9014004
sometimes when I feel down I imagine Kant in hell because he followed his own ethics
the image of it always cheers me up
>>
>>9013764
Kant had a large impact on all philosophy after him, and him and Hegel still have a considerable impact on Continental thought.
>>
>>9013764
lol

>>9013735
>one's circumstances
Now this is moral relativism.

>2+2=4
>yeah but what if someone needed it to be 5 otherwise the world would end, wouldn't it be ok to make it 5 then? huh anon. Aren't you a sociopath for not letting it be 5 sometimes? huh?
>>
>>9013998
It's amoral.
>>
>>9013764
>moral relativism
>Kant
Jesus fucking christ you fucking pseuds, read a goddamn book for once.
>>
>>9013998
The intention can be moral or not. I don't think there can be an example of "moral" or immoral action, since it's all about the intention.
Kant clearly says that there MAY never have been any moral action (and there may never be).

>>9014004
He wasn't retarded, he just didn't care about 'reality' or what we'd call 'real life'. His whole purpose is to understand what "should" means, what a moral duty is.

There's a short book by Luciano Bolis, who was a philosophy student, and who got arrested by the fascists during WW2. He tells how he asked himself : what would Kant think about it ? What's my duty right now ? They're gonna torture me tomorrow, until I give them the names of my fellow resistants - what should I do ?
Basically he says that the only right choice would have been to undergo torture without saying anything, but he still decided to kill himself beforehand. It's not a "moral" solution (you should not kill yourself), but he just 'preferred' it though it's not moral.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.