[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How vulnerable is the book industry? Should I feel bad about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

File: 30-HAGGLER-blog427.jpg (71KB, 427x454px) Image search: [Google]
30-HAGGLER-blog427.jpg
71KB, 427x454px
How vulnerable is the book industry? Should I feel bad about pirating books I already own? Or pirating at all?
>>
Doesn't matter.
>>
>>9012150
I don't feel bad if the author is dead. I usually buy books from authors who are still alive.
>>
>>9012160
this pretty much. Before all the books were online and when online was dial up, people used just steal shit from the library, which fucked up everyone's shit far more.
>>
>>9012160
Why? Most living authors are hacks and sellouts. Dont enable them.
>>
>>9012325
>implying buying their shit isn't the fastest way to get them to dfw themselves
>>
>>9012328
I would not care if every living author killed themselves, they are entirely worthless and the opportunity cost of reading their ""work"" is insane.
>>
Book industry is doing pretty alright compared to other media, such as music or movies.

Why would you pirate books you already own?
>>
>>9012338
wrong
>>
>>9012150

>book industry

literature is ben & jerrys nao
>>
>>9012348
Not an argument
>>
>>9012338
>buying implies reading
>not buying implies the case where they an hero
>scare quotes
>ever
not too good at this reading business, huh, sally? back to your board where guys will call you smart and endearing >>>/s/
>>
>>9012362
Wow you have shit reading comprehension.
>>
>>9012356
>arguments against opinions

how pleb can you go?
>>
>>9012366
no u is shorter sally
>>
>>9012160
Entirely fair, unless it's been translated for you recently. If it is an older translation then go right ahead, but if it's a newer translation at least give them some money for doing the work so you can read it.
>>
>>9012368
Opinions only exist because of arguments. I have the opinion that no contemporary writer is worth reading, and the argument for the opinion is that the opportunity cost of not reading the greats is too high. Pay attention, undergrad.
>>
>>9012380
>opinions only exist because of arguments
it wasn't a challenge m80
>>
>>9012382
I accept your concession. Don't shitpost next time if you aren't prepared to back it up.
>>
>>9012387
>calls an opinion being based on another opinion an argument
>"naturally I have won!"
>>
>>9012389
I have already educated you on opinions and arguments. I even gave you an example. Re-read my posts until you get it, I'm not your primary schools teacher.
>>
>>9012393
good thing too, you'd be woefully underqualified
>>
>>9012339
>Book industry is doing pretty alright compared to other media, such as music or movies.
>movies

Hollywood continues to have record profits despite the "threat" of piracy they cry to lawmakers about:

http://www.mpaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/MPAA-Theatrical-Market-Statistics-2015_Final.pdf
>>
>>9012398
You're probably right, I would need a specialization in teaching disabled children to reach you.
>>
No, you shouldn't feel bad at all.

The price you pay on books does not help authors. It's a tiny minority of authors, mainly those of best sellers, even one hit wonders, that actually profit from selling their books. It can be as little as 5% of the cover price for the author and 95% to be split between: the bookstore, the editors and the price of revision or designing it, and taxes and other fees. Not to mention stores have them overpriced sometimes and there might be shipping costs if you order it online. If you feel bad for these shops, know that most of them also don't profit from books outside the best-selling anyway, they are megastores that include videogames, music, films, toys, eletronics, sometimes food that they sell along with the books. The editors profit from best-selling books as well and just accept so-so other projects to spread their name if they don't hurt their business. The editors are mostly idiot middle men, and the ones who deserve our attention, gain very little: authors, translators, illustrators, etc. And of course, that is if they are even alive, in the case of old books.

On top of it all, you can't say piracy hurts too much on those who produce the content, because in the case of things like books, music or movies, piracy can have the affect of advertising the material and making other people pay for it.

Please, for the love of God, stop with the meme that we should feel guilty for piracy. It's like an ant feeling guilty for taking a grain of dirt from a mountain, thinking it might affect that ecosystem. Even if it did actually had any effect in the business, why not, at this moment, take their own word that "the market balances itself"? You are the market. You're not ruining a business for making use of it, you're just not paying for it because you can. And in the end, the industry will just react to it and make you pay for it, piracy is in an ever lasting cycle of being blocked and then finding new ways. If you can, enjoy.
>>
>>9012399
Yeah but haven't the diversity in movies kinda gone down? There used to be a lot more diverse type of movies now it seems they're mostly focusing on making these blockbuster superhero and assemble cast movies that are almost impossible to flop and makes profits in the hundred of millions.

Maybe you're right though, just remembered hearing people saying books have survived pretty alright and so has TV but music and film have taken a hit, especially music though.
>>
>>9012416
What if a few million ants took a grain?
>>
>>9012520
music taking a hit is a meme too

we're just in an awkward phase in transition from the main musical medium being radio and records to the internet and digital files
>>
>>9012520
>it seems they're mostly focusing on making these blockbuster superhero and assemble cast movies that are almost impossible to flop and makes profits in the hundred of millions.
>impossible to flop

hence, the industry is doing well. For the consumer, diversity is higher now than ever, we just don't need the industry to subsidize it in exchange for the odd indie hit. when you had to buy and process hundreds of feet of film every day and used the specialized mechanical cameras, building-sized edit facilities with technicians, the industry had to bankroll you. Now, professional production companies can shoot/edit digital and get Netflix to distro for any non-blockbuster type concepts, and full-
indie filmmakers can just make their stuff at home and put it on vimeo. The consumer has more options than ever before.

Hollywood makes money the same way it always reliably has: superstar actors, blockbusters, and giant promotions. Now it's concentrated into _just_ that.

The music industry has been traditionally characterized by bloat, shady business practices (payola, extremely exploitative artist's contracts,) and ineptitude. Their profits in the 20th century were a false economy even without the issue of scarcity/physical media.
>>
>>9012150
>pirating
Are you somali?

I know what you are really asking though.
Would you feel bad if somebody shared a physical book with you?
>>
>>9012150
pirating books you own isn't technically pirating. As long as you bought a copy, it doesn't matter how you consume it.
>>
>>9012399
The profits aren't coming from rises in ticket sales but rather absurdly high rises in ticket prices. It's bad. Admissions are down but value is up - it's going to end poorly, they're just duct taping together a dam that's going to burst soon anyway.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.