[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fractals

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

In a 1996 radio interview D.F.W said that the plot of Infinite Jest is structured like a sierpinski gasket. Does anyone on this board have any experience with fractals / the desire to comment on this at all? In what way do you find the narrative structure to be similar to pic related?
>>
>>9011451
It's the kind of abstract notion that, if you think it, you can find whatever content in the book to prove it.

As usual, DFW meming like a motherfucker.
>>
Lets talk about fractals instead
they are proof of god's influence
>>
>>9011490
How so? I've never studied them
>>
>>9011490
>>9011503
you've been baited, niggah
>>
>>9011458
This. DFW often just spouted math jargon to impress normalfags. Remember the bit when he says tennis.can be graphed as the difference of two sin waves or some bullshit.
>>
You guys are all wrong.

The reason it is like the Sierpinski triangle is that he starts off a lot of subplots (some larger/more important than others, others getting progressively smaller), but never fills them in, so to speak, he only "suggests" the general shape of what happens.While he goes into all these fractal branching stories and stories within stories and digressions, he (hilariously enough) leaves out the major parts like what happens between the physical ending and physical beginning of the book (this is the big white upside down triangle/emptiness in the middle of the Sierpinski triangle). The smaller upside down triangles/emptinesses are similar gaps in smaller and different subplots (what happens to Pemulis? to (most frustratingly for me IMO) Gompert and Marathe? etc.)

Think intuitively, meine menschen.
>>
>>9012303
Of course the only intelligent response gets ignored. Good job /lit/!
>>
>>9012303
this is actually exactly what he meant. "Patterns" occur in all sorts of different scales.
>>
>>9012303

well done. impressive--im convinced.
>>
>>9011451
Fractals are a psued meme unless you're a mathematician
>>
>>9013920
>people who like interesting ideas are pseuds
>>
>>9014058

>like

yeah literally. i actually dont think anyone could put it better.
>>
>>9014058
Yes, becuase they simply "like" it and spout shit without even understanding it just to seem smart and knowledgable.
>>
>>9014058
Exactly, yes
>>
>>9014095
>>9014493
>>9014786
Really? I thought pseud was about PRETENDING to like something for cool points, not actually being into it without dedicating years to focus on it above other pursuits.

Wow, this culture is even worse than I thought.
>>
>>9011490
more like fractals are god
>>
>>9013744
But it wasn't ignored, therefore it's not the most intelligent answer.
>>
>>9014922
>I thought
>I thought
Of course that's what you thought. That's why you're a pseud.
>>
>>9012303
So he can't actually finish anything. What a hack.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.