[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on Hemingway.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: oh yeah baby.jpg (11KB, 249x202px) Image search: [Google]
oh yeah baby.jpg
11KB, 249x202px
I've read the old man and the sea, and am halfway through for whom the bell tolls.

I appreciate the ideas he writes about, but am I the only one who can't stand his prose? It irritates me.
>>
Quite the """""earnest"""""' man, huh?
>>
>>9007716
Just die pls
>>
>>9007710
Yeah, me too. I bought For Whom the Bell Tolls, because I got it mint for 10 cents and I love the title. But it just so boring and tedious. I don't even remember what happened. Was there something about a convoy being attacked by monkeys?
>>
>>9007725
Yeah, I read that John Donne poem and thought that the title was cool. I actually like the book, it's got me interested in the spanish civil war.

I think Hemingway is a decent writer actually, but his prose is just infuriating.
>>
>>9007710
A Farewell to Arms is better IMO. For Whom the Bell Tolls is written in a weird purposefully stilted manner
>>
>>9007710
What about it do you find irritating?
>>
>>9007710
I read The Old Man and the Sea for English Class and I remember enjoying it. I was sad for the protagonist not being able to save all of his last great catch being so close to the end of his life. I love stories about regret and lost dreams at the end of one's life.
>>
>>9007710
The FBI drove him to suicide/insanity by surveilling him for his connections with Fidel Castro and love of Cuba.
>>
The best thing about Hemingway is his prose
It sounds like someone who just discovered the English language trying to write an English novel
>>
>>9007710
The Old Man in the Sea is Ernest describing the process of writing with fishing terms while writing.
But it's also about trying to do as an old man what you did as a younger man.
Which is exactly what he was doing with that book. He wanted to prove that he could still write a great book after not writing for so long. It's masterful and also extremely depressing because he doesn't catch the fish.
It's like a suicide note.
But it's also very ambiguous in it's meaning which is why it's still being taught today. Great book and great writer.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.