[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Absence of emotions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

I feel constantly unhappy. Exercise, study and reading are all I enjoy. I want to see what if its possible to stop having emotions, or at least significantly reduce their presence. Are there any books on this topic? I think Stoicism is a good place to start but are there any other recommendations?
>>
That's called depression in the real world.
>>
>>9007646
>stop having emotions
Read Jung to realise this is impossible and you will only become unconscious of your emotions, leaving them to wreak havoc in your life without you being able to do shit about it.
>>
Look every young male adult goes through the 'I should kill my emotions' stage. I hate to be that guy, but in the end you'll do more harm than good and you'll have to acknowledge and deal with your emotions and with life. Not sure how old you are, but give it like at least until 25. If you still can't deal by then just kill yourself.
>>
>>9007646
If you can't find a cause of your unhappiness, then maybe you suffer from some chemical imbalances. >>9007647

>>9007650
This is true. Be very critical as to see the reality of your emotions and thoughts. See what is true and what is simply a story.

Also, there is a great aesthetic worth in emotions; It's entertaining, even if you are aware it's all bullshit.
>>
>>9007658
>>9007650
>>9007647
Thanks for your advice/recommendations. You're probably right about this, lots of books have this trope in them, so it probably is just a phase and moreover I'm only 20. I wish I had some positive emotions every so often though. Maybe im just too much a coward to take the harder path and really try to be happy rather than just give up.
>>
>>9007667
>there is a great aesthetic worth in emotions; It's entertaining, even if you are aware it's all bullshit.

Thats actually very insightful thank you very much
>>
>>9007676
There may be some underlying Thing in your life that is generating all this unhappiness. I would suggest seeing a therapist so you can collaboratively try to figure out what that could be. You don't need to take on their suggestions if they are too quick to look for a solution, though. These things take time.
>>
>>9007685
Don't waste your money on therapy. They can't really help you, all they will do is sell you methods to make you a ''functioning member of society''.

From my experience and what I have seen in others; only you can sort yourself out. You could study yourself but avoid any negative rumination, I find that vipassana mediation helps, if you're into that type of shit.

>>9007678
To elaborate a bit: Consider why someone can enjoy a sad song without being an emo or some such. The difference here is that the emo is fully invested into the aesthetic, his ego is bound to the masochism of sadness. He lacks awareness and insight into his own being, i.e. he is a slave onto himself.
>>
>>9007685
>>9007707
I think its a combination of deep loneliness and the fact I feel totally lost. Im going to do some more self-guided help and reflection rather than resorting to therapy yet. Still this has all been very interesting. Thank you for taking some time to help me, I really appreciate it.
>>
>>9007667
>he fell for the chemical imbalance meme
How does it feel to have a total lack of self responsibility?
>>
>>9007748
You misunderstand, maybe I wasn't clear enough. Actual clinical depression exists. If you do not have it, then yes you are just being an irresponsible bitch.
>>
Go see a psychoanalyst.
>>
>>9007746
No problem man. Just keep in mind, relying on yourself is good, but be a good observer. You can find helpful wisdom everywhere, you just have to judge it wisely. 4chan is a strange example, I've found some good diamonds in all this shit.
>>
Get some beta blockers
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.