[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Joyce is the GOAT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (168KB, 596x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
168KB, 596x600px
You literally cannot name a better writer than James Joyce by any measure
>>
Sammy B was better desu
>>
>>9006260
OP is right
>>
Reading dubliners at the moment. I'm really enjoying it, however I think it's quite overrated here on /lit/. What is it that people like so much about this novel? I enjoy the characters, and how he fill such short stories with such emotion, but I find there's not enough conflict.
>>
>>9006275
Comfy.
>>
>>9006291
Yeah it is quite a comfy book.
>>
>>9006275
Yeah, it's boring as fuck. Joyce is a beautiful writer on a sentence by sentence basis, but his books are a slog.
>>
>>9006275
ave u read The dead m8?
His other stories pale in comparison
>>
>>9006275
The Dead is what will haunt you forever from the Dubliners.
>>
>>9006260

devil's advocate

shakespeare
>>
>>9006350
>>9006385
I'm reading one more story before I get to the Dead. Now I'm looking forward to it. Thanks!
>>
>>9006385
This desu. I have reread it every once in a while because it will all suddenly come back to me.
>>
>>9006385
The Dead is some weak ass hum drum false-epiphanic bullshit.

>Dohmygod that other guy truly lived and IM the one who's dead. Like, emotionally though.

This is why Joyce had to rely on his prose inventiveness. He can't write a straight engaging story for shit.
>>
>Being and Time is the end of continental philosophy
>Tractatus is the end of analytical philosophy

>Finnegans Wake is the end of literature
>>
>>9006393
Get the fuck out of here nigger
>>
>>9006465
That's not what it's about.
>>
The first time I read the dead I just put the book down and cried for 10 minutes
>>
>>9006275
>novel
You maybe have not read enough to be able to appreciate the collection of stories despite reading his most accessible work. The appeal is not a conflict-based literature but a language and thought radically different from any other writer. James Joyce is an if not the master of the English language in his poetic prose. His portraits (PoftAaaYM, lol) of the characters in these stories is so strikingly evocative that after reading them they walk around your mind in a city one doesn't need to have visited to see and experience amongst all the characters and in them.

Read the fucking dead and then form an opinion on the stories when you've finished them.

>>9006299
You must glaze over easily. I'll admit Portrait can have some wandering narratives or narratorial thought patterns, and obviously Finnegans Wake and Ulysses have their own particular difficulties--Dubliners is in this respect his masterpiece.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (131KB, 680x478px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
131KB, 680x478px
>>9006465
wow
>>
>>9006260
Jk Rowling literally I bet James Joyce would agree

And even though Finnegans Wake doesn't mean anything or matter, there is still something about it which is still some epic monument, some intriguing accomplishment, some portal of art, that it still garners some respect, though now that I think about it, Jk Rowling would probably much prefer and give credit, if anything, to any and all of his earlier works, I started off trying to troll, and then I felt bad I might have missed information out, and I still didnt
>>
>>9006781
Fggt
>>
>>9006275
>novel
>conflict
Reconfigure you nigger or leave
>>
You don't read Joyce you let your soul be consumed by his work he's the best writer to ever walk on this piece of shit planet we call earth
>>
File: image.jpg (81KB, 500x688px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81KB, 500x688px
Easy.
>Undergraduates will disagree and reply with non-arguments
>>
>>9006393
>>9009352
These
>>
>>9006260
cuck?
>>
>>9006260

There are many writers better than Joyce when looking at the history of literature.
>>
>>9009352
>be Pushkin
>marry beautiful girl 12 years your junior
>write screeds of love poems about her
>hear rumours she's been getting too friendly with some French cunt
>confront her
>actually believe her when she says she rejected his advances
>wake up one morning to discover French cunt has disseminated a letter throughout Russian high society dubbing you Deputy Grand Master and Historiographer of the Order of Cuckolds
>challenge French cunt to a duel
>get BTFO
>write a letter on your death bed pardoning French cunt of any wrongdoing
>die

How am I supposed to take this man seriously?
>>
>>9009609
Not an argument
>>
>>9009609
What about reading his books and building an opinion of the content? Oh right, this is /lit/, you have to act as a retarded or you are out of place.
Are we supossed to laugh?
How are we supossed to take you serious?
>You meme you btpoo hur hur
>inb4 cringe faggot
>>
>>9009638
Yes, mirth was my objective. Apologies for causing upset.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.