[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best English translation of Shakespear?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: 800px-Shakespeare.jpg (127KB, 800x1025px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Shakespeare.jpg
127KB, 800x1025px
What is the best English translation of Shakespear?
>>
The french one.
>>
File: yolojuliet.jpg (191KB, 1056x690px) Image search: [Google]
yolojuliet.jpg
191KB, 1056x690px
This one
>>
Aster Geant's translation of Schelling's translation.
>>
>>9004345
just read Marlow
>>
But Shakespeare was already English
>>
>>9004345

i like oxford editions. heavy annotations and academic intros.
>>
>>9004369
I wonder what shakespeare would think if he was revived to see this
>>
>>9004483

He would probably like it because he himself wrote for the lowest common denominator.
>>
>>9004483
As a former English teacher, I know the Bard would have been thrilled that his plays have been reinterpreted. Those who think of Willy as a staunch believer that the English language should never be changed or tainted by slang and pop culture don't know him very well.
>>
>>9004502
I too believe that Shakespeare would have had a hoot with these. It saddens me when young people (and surprisingly, I have had more young people poo-poo these versions than older people) don't understand the value of multiple interpretations of a work of art. Courtney Carbone nailed it—and you really have to understand it to do that!
>>
>>9004369
The perfect stimulant for defenestration.
>>
Are there any decent modern translations of Shakespeare? I'd like to just read the plays without having to put the work in.
>>
>>9004369
>go to work
>big doorstopper on staffroom table
>oh I wonder what this is
>It's a collection of LOL funny texting typos
>>
>>9004557
Shakespeare is written in modern English you indolent imbecile
>>
>>9004557

Contemporary glosses of Shakespeare aren't worth reading. Get an edition with notes, look up words frequently, pay attention to the fucking language.

If you're interested in Shakespeare for anything other than pretentious dickwaggling, then go through it carefully and work out how the conceits operate. Otherwise, the plots really aren't that interesting.
>>
I have no idea why the Complete Works ebook by RSC is not in the sticky.

It's the finely formatted and annotated version I've been seeking for a while now.

That ebook is probably among the best english ebooks that have ever existed, if not the best.
>>
>>9004369
kek'd hard
>>
>>9004345
The Lion King
>>
What's the best complete edition of Shakespeare?
>>
>>9005438
wait, link it pls?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.