[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was his fucking problem?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: hamlet.jpg (24KB, 300x403px) Image search: [Google]
hamlet.jpg
24KB, 300x403px
What was his fucking problem?
>>
>>9001716
receding hairline
>>
>>9001716
He was what today we'd diagnose as sociopathic, possibly with bipolar-depression.

And did not want to fuck his mom. Even though I got a boner when he kissed his mom in the Mel Gibson portrayal, they're no evidence.
>>
>>9001730
Sociopathic? Are we reading the same Hamlet? He spends pages saying that he needs actual evidence of his Uncle's betrayal before he'll act on it because he doesn't want to be wrong and accidentally be misled into killing an innocent man.
>>
File: 1834894.jpg (6KB, 108x137px) Image search: [Google]
1834894.jpg
6KB, 108x137px
>>9002049
I always hated the insane interpretation of Hamlet; not only does Hamlet question his own sanity, and approach the ghost rationally, there is the obviousness of the ghosts existence due to the two guards witnessing it at the beginning.

With this reasoning, you could say any character in any story "didn't exist", figment of imagination, insanity, etc. But the ghost does exist, is witnessed by other people than Hamlet, and there is a confession from Claudius.

Which makes it a revenge-drama. The mental gymnastics people have to go through to make Hamlet a schizophrenic are astonishing. Half of his plays have fairies, gods, witches, ghosts, Puck, etc. etc.
>>
>>9001716
Uncle killed his dad, fucked his mom. GF walked into a lake.
>>
>>9002087
The question isn't whether Hamlet actually saw the ghost, but whether the ghost actually is what it claims to be and not, say, a demon in disguise trying to lure Hamlet to hell.
>>
>>9002087
That wasn't what I was trying to say
I was trying to say that hamlet isn't sociopathic because he doesn't just wantonly kill his uncle because he wanted to, he pretty obviously struggles with the morality and weight of what he has to do
>>
>>9002195
I meant sociopathic in the way that he is incapable of love (at least that's what Bloom believes), but that doesn't mean he doesn't have at least a hedonistic conscience.
>>
>>9002087
thats cool. that makes Infinite Jest what critics thought Hamlet was about and given how much of that book is about seeing meaning in chaos that makes it hilariously ironic
>>
>>9001716
He thought too much.
>>
>>9001716
His problem is he's too smart for the world.

>>9002049
His uncle can't be innocent, he's committed both incest and adultery. The only personal hangup for Hamlet regarding his uncle is that Claudius may be Hamlet's actual father, but this is really just adds onto his crimes.
>>
I haven't read Hamlet yet, so forgive the question if it's so obvious. What is it about Hamlet that leaves it open to so much interpretation?
>>
>>9002315
Hamlet speaks very vaguely, often ironically and contradictory. For example we see the ghost in scene 1, later Hamlet talks about how no one can cross back from the afterlife.
>>
>>9003330
Is it only Hamlet himself who speaks vaguely like that, or do others do it as well?
>>
>>9001716
being gay, obviously
>>
>>9002315
There's a scene where the ghost appears to Hamlet and the other character in the scene doesn't see him and asks Hamlet why he's "talking to thin air" or something along those lines.
>>
>>9001716
>What was his fucking problem?
>fucking problem
>>
>>9003330
>later Hamlet talks about how no one can cross back from the afterlife.

How do you know that isnt hamlet questioning whether he really saw a ghost or not?

i.e. "that couldnt have possibly been a ghost... because no one can cross back from the afterlife"
>>
Anyone watch "Hamlet" (1996 film)?
>>
>>9002315
Its a blatant theme of the play that he is going mad, acknowledged by pretty much every character. What this madness represents and to what extent it goes is something critics have been arguing forever
>>
>>9002306
>Claudius may be Hamlet's actual father
[citation needed]
>>
>>9004791
Ja. I didn't really like it.
>Hamlet swings from the second floor on a chandelier to stab Claudius
>>
>>9002182
Can you be more specific with this interpretation? I'm not even asking for a direct quote but it's been awhile since I've read Hamlet, and I remember Hamlet's sanity and the ghost's existence being brought into question (though, in the play, it does actually exist, whether his mother, Ophelia, Laertes and Claudius believe him), I don't remember anything in the text seriously reinforcing an idea that the ghost not only was a hallucination, but a demon disguised as a ghost.
>>
>>9006046
To be honest it seemed entirely obvious to me- so I can't elaborate.
I remember Hamelt saying something about whether it is an "honest ghost" though.
>>
>>9006053
>Hmaelt
kill me
>>
>>9002087
Dude, what the fuck are you on? This all makes sense if you disregard when he sees the Ghost while he's yelling at Gertrude but Gertrude doesn't see it. So did you just not finish the play? If not, why are you talking about this?

The question isn't, Did Hamlet see the ghost in the beginning, but, Did he go insane later on by (ironically) pretending to be insane for so long and overtaxing his nerves?

Honestly pisses me the fuck off, at least read one of the most famous pieces of Western literature fully if you want to talk about it, jeez.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.