[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else read this doorstopper? What did you think about it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: Underworld[1].jpg (36KB, 218x327px) Image search: [Google]
Underworld[1].jpg
36KB, 218x327px
Anyone else read this doorstopper? What did you think about it?
>>
>>9000149
It's great
>>
File: Wicket W Warrick.jpg (227KB, 1252x1252px) Image search: [Google]
Wicket W Warrick.jpg
227KB, 1252x1252px
>>9000149
Sometimes I see something so moving I know I’m not supposed to linger. See it and leave. If you stay too long, you wear out the wordless shock. Love it and trust it and leave desu.
>>
>>9000149
read it when i was 16
easy read good book
>>
>>9000180
I read it when I was 12. That was my impression as well, i.e. an extremely easy read.
>>
Read it at 7, pretty good
>>
My dad read it to me when I was 5. Don DeLillo is a hack writer.
>>
Delillo is shit
>>
It's an entertainment and lengthy criss-crossing of many intersections of post-WWII America. Its scope is arguably its best quality but it brings with it philosophy and pathos, presenting a humane and relevant consideration of all kinds of lives. These range from nuns trying to do a bit of good, to down-and-out minorities hoping for a stroke of luck, through to middle-age, middle-class office stiffs going about their daily, globalised lives. It also has room for optimistic painters of abandoned war planes laid benign in the desert, and talks heavily about people involved on both ends of everyday violence (Texas highway guy).

Of course, it would be remiss not to mention its highly illustrative opening chapter, which exudes a lot of imagery usually ignored in some of DeLillo's denser, prosaic novels.
>>
Read it in the womb, was ok.
>>
Yeah, it had a great first 300 pages but the rest is a slow decline into mediocrity. The main theme and his prose doesn't have enough meat to carry over 800 pages and ends up spreading itself very thin. I actually got mad at the epilogue when he does that cheap allegory with the nuke detonation attraction, it felt like the ideas he was cultivating devolved and dissolved into a disappointingly banal "capitalism is bad, mkay?" message.
>>
>>9000253
Also, there isn't anything he does in this book that Roth didn't do better in American Pastoral.
>>
>>9000258
This. Except the baseball chapter
>>
WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE
>>
>>9000149
>>9000149
Should I read this or moby dick or fountainhead first?
>>
>>9000343
Moby Dick. Don't read the others.
>>
read it in a past life and it was like the void and
cloudless sky, and the naked, spotless intellect unto a transparent vacuum without circumference
or centre.
>>
READ THE INTRO GOT BORED
SINATRA AND GLEESON ISNT COOL ANYMORE OLD MAN
>>
>>9000149
Not that much of a doorstopper
>>
>>9000149
I liked it and would discuss it more, but i'm on my phone and don't have time but have my bump OP. Nice to see people actually want to discuss UW every once in a while.
Those nuclear chapters were amazing imo
>>
The first 5 pages were good.
>>
Personally thought the two "main" characters, Nick Shay and Klara Sax, were boring fucking people and had the worst chapters in the book. Most other minor characters were entertaining, especially liked the old grumpy baseball collector and the Beatnik comedian.
>>
>>9000343
bait i know but i am compelled to tell you to stay the fuck away from ayn rand, no matter how worthless you may feel you are, your time is worth too much to be spent reading that shit.
>>
Is DeLillo's The Names any good? The premise sounds cool as fuck but at the same time sounds like one of those stories that could be be a real let down.
>>
>>9001089
Seconded, waiting for this one in the mail.
Delillo people say it's his best often, it seems.
>>
>>9000387
Liam Gleeson was the Lian in Narmia tho
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.