/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/comc/ Post-readthrough discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: complete.jpg (97KB, 746x630px) Image search: [Google]
complete.jpg
97KB, 746x630px
MISSION SUCCESS. One month later and we have actually complete a read-through!

All spoilers allowed in this thread. Discuss the ending, discuss how you felt about the book as a whole.

>Previoius thread
>>8990098
>>
Please fill out this poll so we can see how we did

http://www.strawpoll.me/12153391
>>
Well I didn't participate in the read-through but I read the book last year and the ending was immensely satisfying.
>>
Wait and hope lads. Wait and hope.
>>
>>8999568
I wasn't a part of the group read but I'm curious about how you guys liked it so here's a lil bumperino
>>
i was reading along, but i couldn't keep up with the last half of the book. I haven't finished it.
And i was reading W&P too. It's not a great ideia to read two great big books together.

By the way, the book is good. The prose isn't interesting, but there's some moments where it can shine. And the plot is very entertaining. Some parts are a slogh, though.
>>
>>8999571
I'm on chapter 108. I voted "yes / will finish soon".
>>
File: 10rmi5j.jpg (117KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
10rmi5j.jpg
117KB, 1600x900px
I just finished. Had to read for two and half hours today, but I did it.

The last 10 chapters or so were really good. I love what he did to Danglars.

I was curious about the Count's treatment of Morrel until they finally read the letter which explained it.

Still not sure about poor little Edward. But it's sorta like wishing someone gets cancer, but then they actually do and you feel a little guilty. Maybe he should have known though that the woman who was trying to kill everyone for her son would be unstable.

I pity Mercedes. Her whole life was basically ruined. But I guess when Albert gets out of the service she may yet find happiness. All we can do is wait and hope.
>>
Thank you very much for hosting OP! And see you in the Don Quixote threads!
>>
>>9001967
Well said about Edward, that's pretty much how it felt. No triumphant snarkiness, no satisfaction, just horror at how far things ended up spiraling. I actually felt bad for Villefort. His fate was cruel, and though not undeserved, I still felt for him.
>>
>>9001967
I honestly had a shitty fairytale ending in mind when I start the book. It was simply 'hey I'm Dante' 'wow let's get married now I love you'.

His realisiation that he can love Haydee was quite strange to me. Feels incestous. I guess he accepts that his old life with Mercedes died when he was imprisoned.
>>
>>9003378
I expected him to get together with Mercedes too. There was still a love between them as evidenced by the scene between them at the party. But I guess at the time age difference wasn't regarded that important. Still I thought that it was more of a father-daughter relationship than lovers.
>>
>>9003378
>>9003545
I too thought he'd marry Mercedes again, but as the book went on it became very clear Haydee was the one. Nearly every scene with Haydee dropped hints that she loved him deeply and wanted to be his wife. You guys maybe sorta glossed over those while reading I guess because they were definitely there.
>>
>>9003670
I know that Haydee loved the Count but what kind of love it was and if it was mutual was unclear until the passage about 'maybe I can allow myself to love again'
>>
>>9000874
Prose had some great moments when describing sea scenes. Dantes' escape is especially vivid in my mind with the light catching the waves as morning breaks.

I would agree that some parts were tougher to get through. Especially in the middle. I would have enjoyed a smoother transition to the future evens with franz and albert. I didn't know what was going on or why I should care. I just wanted to get back to dantes.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.