[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is The Oxford Shakespeare good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0657.jpg (35KB, 200x302px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0657.jpg
35KB, 200x302px
Is The Oxford Shakespeare good?
>>
>>8997626
>reading plays

You people read movie manuscripts too?
>>
>>8997642
m8 I also want to read the poems
>>
>>8997642
Yes.
>>
>>8997626
I'd assume so. He's an English playwright. Oxford is an university filled with English scholars. It would be very poor publicity indeed if an English University did a poor job publishing the works of a renowned English playwright.
>>
>>8997642
pleb detected
>>
>>8997626
Actually just bought this. It's pretty good.
>>
The individual entries in their Oxford Shakespeare series are brilliant. If this is the same then yeah it'll be good.
>>
>>8997626
I got it and I'm displeased. I wanted footnotes and more analysis.
>>
>>8998021
i read the norton shakespeare is good
>>
File: km.jpg (10KB, 200x211px) Image search: [Google]
km.jpg
10KB, 200x211px
>>8997642
>movie manuscripts
>>
>>8997626
the best
>>
>>8997642
Never seen a play that wasn't better in my head.
Maybe Ran. Maybe that Ghosts production by Bergman.
>>
>pelican Shakespeare
>oxford Shakespeare
>norton Shakespeare
>riverside Shakespeare

what get
>>
>>8998679
all of them you pleb
>>
>>8998679
>>8998679
abbey
>>
Arden Shakespeare gives the best info with the text listing changes in folio and other notes
>>
>>8997626
>renaming Falstaff "Oldcastle" because lol we think original performances had it that way
>changing Pericles with George Wilkins material because lol we think he cowrite
>changing "ancient" to "ensign" because lol everyone is too dumb to understand what it means
>moving various Hamlet speeches to appendix because lol we think the original performances didn't include them
>crediting Marlowe as co-author on some plays because lol it gives us publicity
>>
>let's add notes saying that the moors were Sub-Saharan blacks and claim that any other theory is "neo-nazi nonsense"
>>
you have to buy the arden edition of every single play otherwise you cannot be a patrician
>>
>>8997642
It's a lot cheaper than going to the theatre.
>>
>>9000718
Which version do you prefer?
>>
>>9000779
Arden for the collected plays.

For the separate editions of individual plays Oxford are fine. They use different editors for those and most of them don't make the same showboating decisions as the editors of the collected edition.
>>
>>9000740
where is this?
>>
>>9000809
Are the notes and commentaries in Arden excessive?
>>
>>9000824
The collected edition is pretty bare aside from short introductions and an overall glossary at the end.

Separate Arden editions of the plays do have note-bloat though. They're footnotes rather than endnotes too.
>>
>>8998037
I have it, and I can confirm, it is very very good.
>>
>>8997642
Uh, I do sometimes.
>>
>>8997696
He's just baiting.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.