[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Wasteland & Canterbury Tales

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 1459795613657.jpg (443KB, 1000x1270px) Image search: [Google]
1459795613657.jpg
443KB, 1000x1270px
Okay, let me get this out of the way: TS Eliot was an anti-semite and a general all around asshole, but he was also a great poet.
The famous beginning of The Wasteland seems like empty poetic gesturing, but in actuality it's a direct allusion to the opening of the Canterbury Tales.
"WHAN that Aprille with his shoures soote
The droghte of Marche hath perced to the roote,
And bathed every veyne in swich 3 licour,
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
Whan Zephirus eek with his swete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
The tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the Ram his halfe cours y-ronne,"
"APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.
Winter kept us warm, covering
Earth in forgetful snow, feeding
A little life with dried tubers.
Summer surprised us, coming over the Starnbergersee
With a shower of rain; we stopped in the colonnade,
And went on in sunlight, into the Hofgarten,"
Thoughts?
>>
>>8996349
REAL men are anti-semites. Try a redpill
>>
>TS Eliot was an anti-semite and a general all around asshole

Oh boy
>>
>>8996349
I thought this was general knowledge.
I also saw traces of tonio kroger (Mann 1903) in those opening lines but I don't know if Eliot read that story or not.
>>
>>8996349
I don't understand the purpose of your thread
>>
>>8996929
is the canterbury tales red-pilled?
>>
File: 0-Eliot.jpg (557KB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
0-Eliot.jpg
557KB, 2000x1500px
>>8996349
Eliot does provide Notes after the poem that include most of the basic references, including that one. And for pity's sake, the poem is called The Waste Land. Three words.
>>
File: (((£zra))).jpg (348KB, 690x874px) Image search: [Google]
(((£zra))).jpg
348KB, 690x874px
>>8996349
But how could he be an anti-semite when he was such good friends with (((£zra)))?
>>
>>8997334
Err.. what? Eliot and Pound eventually fell out over Pound's antisemitism, when Eliot gave it up.
>>
>>8996349
>TS Eliot was an anti-semite and a general all around asshole
fucking cancer please go to r/books with that
>>
>>8997303

God could you just slightly remove Eliot's spindly dick from the depths of your esophagus? Obviously, he was a very great poet, but not everything he ever put to paper is worth reading. Indeed, much of it is shockingly asinine. He ultimately lacked the strength to face the prodigious abyss that was inside him and gave us Prufrock, The Waste Land, The Hollow Men, and even the best portions of the Four Quartets.
>>
>>8998377
>He ultimately lacked the strength to face the prodigious abyss that was inside him and gave us Prufrock, The Waste Land, The Hollow Men, and even the best portions of the Four Quartets. >he lacked the strength to give us genius so he gave up genius
the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>8997264
Here's what you need to understand, the 'red pill' is a default state when humankind is not engaging in willful delusion and mental aerobics. Anything premodern enough is going to be red-pilled and the Canterbury tales is a good example of this. All of this changed when people began questioning (through a nominalist perspective) what are, even for children, clear givens about this world. They had a decent point because the layman could not really defend his understanding of the world and they picked this understanding apart fairly thoroughly, replacing it with a strain of subjective/self-centeredness that has developed into the blue pill of today. The ultimate redpill was building it back up again in the wake of that crisis which no pre-modern book could fully capture but could certainly anticipate at least to dorm degree.
>>
>empty poetic gesturing
Kys
>>
>>8996349
>The famous beginning of The Wasteland seems like empty poetic gesturing
Mate, even without the Chaucer allusion it would be a great opening.
It also perfectly sets the tone for the rest of the poem.
>>
>>8998377
You sad twit. Four Quartets has not been surpassed in 75 years of poetry, and it's not likely to be any time soon. And as for claiming "much of Eliot's poetry is shockingly asinine," try not to say idiotic shit in public around people who can actually read.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.