[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shit you do while writing you keep doing again and again. >he

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: annoying-face-meme1.jpg (84KB, 500x459px) Image search: [Google]
annoying-face-meme1.jpg
84KB, 500x459px
Shit you do while writing you keep doing again and again.

>he looked over

I mean what else can i write? "He glanced" only works a small amount of times. How to make it less occurrent?
>>
>>8995674
>turned his head.
There are many ways to do it, you can spice it up or you can keep reusing the same way. depends on what type of audience you are writing
>>
sounds like the problem of an amateur
>>
>>8995674
>>he looked over
Are you writing a children's book? I literally can think of no reason to add this to any sentence if you set up the context properly.
>>
>>8995674
I have a tendency to repeat myself subconsciously. I don't realize that it happened until I re-read what I wrote.
I'm sure someone likes to write that way because muh reinforcing the point, but it's sort of uncanny to me, so I correct it whenever I can.
>>
OP momentarily glanced at a clock on the wall before looking at his pc monitor. Hesitant, he turned his head left and right, just for a moment, to ensure that nobody else was around. Next, he opened a web browser and googled: my cock. He clicked the image tab, and eyed each result carefully. At the third image he paused, and said, "Interesting... very interesting." He surveyed the image of the cock meticulously, commiting its glorious form to memory. "This is the one... gotta have it."
>>
>>8995674
Stop describing people looking over. Who needs it anyway?
>>
You don't need to say a character looked somewhere. Just mention what they looked at instead and it's implied that the character looked over at it.

>He looked out the window and saw that his taxi had arrived.

Bad

>Outside, his taxi had arrived.

Better
>>
>>8995674
Just don't say it if it can be inferred from context and serves no purpose.
>>
>>8995891
You can lose the >Outside,
It doesn't even make sense.
>>
There's not a lot of context here, but this is sort of an interesting problem. I'm assuming the character is looking over as in looking over (there), rather than looking over as in reviewing something.
I don't write much myself, but I think that overuse could be avoided by exploring the relationship between the two parties--the looker and the lookee--and what the looking implies, rather than describing the eye movements of your subject. Often, the looking will be implicit and you needn't use such literal language to tell the audience who's eyes are directed where. That said, you can still be explicit about it if you use more varied and interesting language around your look-words, e.g. by dropping the adjacent pronoun and embedding them within the sentence

>The lull in conversation afforded Arnold the opportunity to become fascinated by the stitching on his shoes
>For her suggestion, Josephine received a glare so overwhelmingly cold that she felt compelled to re-fasten the last buttons on her blouse--it seeming now almost licentiously disjoined
>Sir Rumpleton's protests were cut short by a glance sufficiently informative of his impertinence.
>Finally returning to his audience, a measure of the room revealed that interest in the tensile strength of dildos had dwindled and it was time to advance slides

idk mang
>>
>>8995990
whoops, whose*.
>>
>>8995766
Bad post.
>>
OP, I've learned to embrace these quirks and idiosyncracies.

I will say, though, that since you used a RDJ gif, you're probably writing fanfic or shitty stories no one will ever take seriously, so don't waste your time worrying about it. This is a problem that only serious writers should be concerned with and a serious writer wouldn't even have to be.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.