[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Language v. Science: Cornerstone of Civilization

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

>Be watching Sci fi movie
>Protagonist is a linguistic expert
>She does translations and language related stuff
>She meets a physicist
>Physicist is impressed by a line in her book: "language is the cornerstone of civilization"
>Protagonist thanks him for the compliment
>Physicist then BTFOs her saying "You are wrong. Language is not the cornerstone of civilization, science is."

Who is in the wrong here, /lit/?

(movie is Arrival in case you're interested)
>>
>>8994875
>Who is in the wrong here, /lit/?

Whichever one is the woman.
>>
OP here. Nevermind, the linguistic expert BTFOd the physicist literally 30 seconds later. Shouldn't have paused right away.
>>
>>8994875
Well, off the top of my head, the ability to pass down knowledge is the most important thing. Science without the means to convey it is useless. It can't be corrected or built upon.
>>
>>8994897
how?
>>
>>8994897
How? You can't do science without language?
>>
>>8995053
Good luck building anything other than the most primitive things using grunts and gesticulations without any conventional understanding.
>>
>>8995048
>>8995053

The physicist says that he can't wait to unite with the aliens, share knowledge, etc., the linguistic expert then BTFOs him by saying "Well, we have to learn how to speak to them first."

The physicist knew he was BTFOd right away and he just smiled
>>
are you watching Stargate?
>>
>>8995467
No. It's Arrival starring Amy Adams (I said it in the op you fucking pleb autist).
>>
File: viper inferior.jpg (138KB, 1075x1075px) Image search: [Google]
viper inferior.jpg
138KB, 1075x1075px
>>8995476

Says the guy watching some hollyjew plebeian movie with amy adams.
>>
They're both wrong.
>>
Groups of people are the cornerstone of civilization.

>>8995498
This.
>>
Both statements are retarded. Many uncivilized, barbaric, and nomadic societies existed for thousands of years before the advent of civilizations. A more fair statement would be to say that language is a cornerstone of humans, after all we have a mouth capable of making sounds, might as well fucking use it.
Science wasn't even invented until 500 years ago, so the second statement is even dumber
>>
>>8995677
>Science
>Invented
>500 years ago

How many times have you cut someone with that edge.

Except for the part where you discredited the Greeks who had 'scienced' for half a millenium B.C.E., I agree with you.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.