[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

easy book for a non-native english reader

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: 1484808961243.png (208KB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
1484808961243.png
208KB, 5000x5000px
easy book for a non-native english reader
>>
The dictionary.
>>
anything by hemmmmingway
>>
Try good YA series? They're extremely simple. If that's not at your level, then literally go from the ground up from grade levels. I'm talking Little Green Dragon to Time Warp Trio onwards. It's how I learned.
>>
A Shit of Ice and Fire
>>
>>8993893
Hamlet by John Green
>>
File: john-steinbeck.jpg (537KB, 1050x787px) Image search: [Google]
john-steinbeck.jpg
537KB, 1050x787px
Of mice & men
>>
>>8993915
>2017
>not smearing Tiger Balm on your anus
>>
>>8993893
Charlotte's web. Is children's book.
>>
>>8993893
If you can read enough to write as you did, I'd read Harry Potter. Haters gonna hate, but it's a fun read, goes by fast, and should be good for a non-native reader.
>>
File: the-little-prince.jpg (411KB, 1456x2244px) Image search: [Google]
the-little-prince.jpg
411KB, 1456x2244px
>>8993893

The Little Prince (1943) by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (ISBN: 978-0156012195) would be an excellent book to look at.

It's been translated into 250 languages and dialects, has colorful illustrations that help reinforce reading, and is ubiquitous in bookstores (and easy to find online). I would recommend you find a copy in your native language, and have another in English, and consult your native language edition accordingly when you don't know how to translate a specific word or phrase or tense.

It is also a book with surprisingly deep themes and messages, despite its childish appearance and short length (96 pages with plenty of illustrations).
>>
>>8994284
This is a very good suggestion.
>>
>>8993893
Why not read in your own language, unless it is an English book in the first place?
>>
>>8994351
English is the best language.
>>
>>8993893
the very hungry caterpillar
>>
>>8994467
English is worst language.
>No inexistent subject
>No elliptic subject
>Use of auxilliary verbs rather than conjugation
>"To be" for both "estar" and "ser".
>>
>>8994518
For someone whose second language is English, I can guarantee that the understanding of the language has been vital to me. it has helped envelop me in subjects I would otherwise know nothing about. Do you have any idea how much media, literature, studies and conversations I would be limited to if I had not learned English?

You may think it boring, maybe because it's your native language, but it is a great tool to be utilized, since it's so prevalent.

That dude should definitely make attempts to learn
>>
>>8994776
It is good that we have a "common" language like that. It could have been Latin, though...
>>
>>8994788
Perhaps someone will say the same of English, one day
>>
>>8994828
I predict the next world language will be Arabic.
>>
>>8994829
I predict the next world language will be communicating entirely through pheromones
>>
File: binary.jpg (34KB, 252x259px) Image search: [Google]
binary.jpg
34KB, 252x259px
>>8994841
>mfw we reach the singularity and everyone communicates instantaneously via binary
>>
>>8994864
I'll look forward to being you, and so will you
>>
>>8994880
Let us hope that Roko's Basilisk does not end up being true.
>>
>>8994903
I just read up on it

You motherfucker
>>
>>8993909
this and steinbeck
>>
File: ultimate_redpill.jpg (27KB, 440x316px) Image search: [Google]
ultimate_redpill.jpg
27KB, 440x316px
>>
>>8994903
Just read up, incredibly stupid if I understand it correctly. Why would the AI waste time punishing people for their past actions? Punishment for the sake of retribution or for repentment is a deontological notion. The AI is utilitarian and so wouldn't bother.
>>
>>8995273
It has to do with timeless decision theory and acausal trade. Look on the RationalWiki page if you care. But yes it may actually just be stupid.
>>
>>8995311
I'll do that. The Business Insider article is thoroughly unconvincing, and that's what my previous post is based on. The Slate article is better and does introduce that notion. I'd actually heard of the money version of the thought experiment before, so I'm roughly familiar with the problem. I'd say my main issue is that the actual punishment still has to happen after the AI has already come into existence, and it's the threat that would be driving it to exist faster. The AI, then, has no real reason to actually follow through on the threat.
>>
>>8994284
did the very same thing while learning rus
>>
>>8993893
read at least one YA
the fault in our stars, twilight, 50 shades of gray

if you're not able to understand that, then you need to study more english
>>
>>8995709
If you are going to read YA why not Redwall or Bridge to Terabithia?
>>
>>8993893
any modern book.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.