[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DFW

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: David-Foster-Wallace-1.jpg (175KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
David-Foster-Wallace-1.jpg
175KB, 1200x800px
So I want to read a book by DFW as part of my attempt to read more contemporary authors. Anyone have suggestions as to which would be the first book to get into?

I know Infinite Jest is one of his best known but I also don't want to invest into 1,000 pages of something that I might hate anyways.

Thanks
>>
>>8988053
If it takes you until the end of a 1000 page book to realize you're not enjoying it then I'd stick to movies
>>
>>8988057
he means spending money on something he might hate
>>
File: zChOSoC.jpg (14KB, 380x183px) Image search: [Google]
zChOSoC.jpg
14KB, 380x183px
>>8988063
>spending money on books
>>
File: 1484685980211.jpg (25KB, 474x355px) Image search: [Google]
1484685980211.jpg
25KB, 474x355px
read Little Expressionless Animals, the first story in Girl with Curious Hair, I think that's a good approach
>>
http://stanford.edu/~sdmiller/octo/good-old-neon/

This is my favorite short story of his. It's pretty long, but worth it.
>>
Consider the Lobster is a good starting point. Not book length either.
>>
>>8988053
Ive read every word Dfw ever wrote---both fiction and non. Look through his nonfiction collections and read any of them with a subject that might interest you. If you couldn't find any, start with A Supposedly Fun Thing (the essay). You should be hooked after that. Then try Good Old Neon. Out of all the fiction that ive read in my life, it is my favorite.
>>
Good Old Neon is too depressing
>>
>>8988063
Yeah pretty much
>>8988070
>>8988089
>>8988099
>>8988113
>>8988126
Thanks guys I'll look into it. Much appreciated
>>
>>8988053
A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again (the whole book) would make a pretty great starting point, I think
>>
>>8988057
I always finish a book I'm reading even if I hate it. You don't know what you're talking about
>>
>>8988070
That story is some of DFW's lowest level work.
>>
I've always heard Consider the Lobster the best starting place.
>>
His nonfiction is really the best place to start. A Supposedly Fun Thing is excellent, as is Consider The Lobster. They're fun, accessible, funny, but they do a good job of conditioning you to his style and also to flipping back and forth between foot/endnotes and the main text.
>>
>>8989413
>flipping back and forth between foot/endnotes and the main text.
Why is this his thing? Why is this a thing?
>>
>>8988053
just read his essays, IJ is tumblr shit
>>
How good could he have been. He an heroe'd!
>>
>>8988063
L I B R A R Y
>>
>>8988089
seconding this
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.