[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does one into poetry?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: 1484514697146.png (443KB, 960x948px) Image search: [Google]
1484514697146.png
443KB, 960x948px
How does one into poetry?
>>
Read the best, figure out what makes them the best, emulate.
>>
>>8984996
I actually meant to ask "where do you start reading?" Or is it reasonable to just pick and choose from the grab bag of the greats?
>>
>>8985031
>I actually meant to ask "where do you start reading?"
Reading literature is for fags, so I can't help you there.
>>
>>8985031
i think starting with the romantics is good

most people i know who like poetry got into it through poems like ozymandias, ode to melancholy, kubla khan, etc.
>>
>>8985031
I read a few poems that I really love tht I read all the time
Kublai Khan -Samuel Taylor C
Ulysses - lord Tennyson
Horatius - i forgot
Elegy written at a county churchyard - I forgot
Annabel Lee- Poe

Those I think have pretty much universal appeal.

I also liked Paradise Lost

Just read my friend
>>
>>8985046
the elegy is by thomas gray, most notorious one hit wonder in literary history. what a legend
>>
File: paths of glory.jpg (867KB, 2376x1584px) Image search: [Google]
paths of glory.jpg
867KB, 2376x1584px
>>8985056
The time spent on it shows. The whole thing just feels like it was crafted over years and years, each stanza is nearly perfect. And the subject matter, considering how to best approach one's death is something that one considers over a lifetime.

>The boast of heraldry, the pomp of power,
>And all that beauty, all that wealth e'er gave,
>Awaits alike the inevitable hour.
>The paths of glory lead but to the grave.

Unironically it is sublime.

Kublai Khan is the polar opposite, but still very successful. Very loose structuring, just writing as inspirations comes fast. Can't remember but I think it was written in one morning after he had an opium dream that he based it off of.
>>
File: 1483558647170.jpg (123KB, 797x734px) Image search: [Google]
1483558647170.jpg
123KB, 797x734px
Thank you for the suggestions niggers.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.