[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can one be materialistic without being nihilistic?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: thinkerpep.png (17KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
thinkerpep.png
17KB, 900x900px
Can one be materialistic without being nihilistic?
>>
>>8984562
Sure, a lot of Christians, Muslims, and, especially, Jews are materialistic.
>>
>>8984562
Probably, but who gives a fuck, Idealism a best.
>>
>Sure, a lot of Christians, Muslims, and, especially, Jews are materialistic.
>>8984569

>materialism
>[muh-teer-ee-uh-liz-uhm]

>thephilosophicaltheorythatregardsmatteranditsmotionsasconstitutingtheuniverse,andallphenomena,includingthoseofmind,asduetomaterialagencies.

If you believe that everything can explained and expressed physically and naturally how can you believe in a non-physical supernatural being?
>>
>>8984583
Shit, copy and past fucked up on that one
>>
>>8984562
>Can one be mathematic without being nihilistic?
Well the Romans got by without the number zero, so.
But really >>>/sci/ with this kind of question
>>
>>8984562

"It has always seemed to me that a working hypothesis as fruitful as historical materialism never needed for a foundation the absurdity which is metaphysical materialism."

- Sartre
>>
>>8984562
materialism is the highest form of spirituality

prove me wrong (pro tip: you cant)

I can prove that statement right, only if someone "successfully" attempts to challenge it
>>
>>8984761
No one cares, faggot.
>>
I would say no, but if you're dumb enough I guess you can elevate material things into a sort of spiritual substance
>>
>>8984761
spirituality is not physical and materialism is the worship of what is physical

go ahead with your mental gymnastics though
>>
>>8984615
Thanks for that meaningless word vomit.
>>
>>8985529
wasnt meaningless, at all, quite straightforward. The historical process, science, making tools to increase efficiency and comfort and culture and health and happiness and time, have been so increasingly successful, there is no need to sully this great history of material progression with any thoughts of metaphysical (though maybe, he is also, or mainly, speaking about the positing of God)
>>
>>8985428
looks like you did enough to fruitlessly respond

>>8985522
Spirituality requires the physical (at least in this earthly realm)?
>>
...Aquinas I guess?
>>
>>8986706
and where does the physicality come from my friend? :^)
>>
>>8988006
I'm not him, but clearly everything is material, only in differing degrees.

Even God is material, although this material must be so fine and ethereal we cannot perceive it while we are alive. If he were not material, how could He exist?

Even the so-called "supernatural phenomena" are material, and natural, too, we simply cannot perceive them because they are too fine and the laws they work by too subtle and different from our ways of thinking.

The whole universe is material.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.