[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to live off translating books?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_5742.jpg (378KB, 2057x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5742.jpg
378KB, 2057x3000px
Is it possible to live off translating books?
>>
>>8984304
I imagine you would still need water and food.
>>
My brother translates all kinds of texts between English and Japanese for a living. He gets by, but it's not super lucrative.
>>
>>8984304
>>8984660
I like to live off of the blood of Jesus Christ personally.
>>
You will be competing against all the other people in the world who know the languages you do and have an internet connection. Considering how much lower the cost of living is in some other places, it's not a good idea.
>>
>>8984304
who is this semen demon. (sorry for bad english)
>>
>>8984728
Ginny Weasely.
>>
>>8984713
This. The barriers to entry are very low.
>>
>>8984728
>>8984742
Tf, mate? That's obviously Luna Lovegood.
>>
>>8984749
I almost typed Luna but went with Ginny. I have trouble associating names with faces.
>>
>>8984304
Yes
>>
>>8984749
>/b/-tier humor on /lit/
Stop
>>
>>8984660
This is why 4chan needs a like/dislike option for comments.
You'll also need air, the books are dead trees that can't produce O2 anymore.
>>
>>8984713
It is worth it if you have the right languages.
>>
Translating isn't as simple as normies here think. You go for it if you want to.
>>
>>8984876
How hard could it be?
>>
>>8984783
How much for a book?
>>
File: robert_graves.jpg (54KB, 640x320px) Image search: [Google]
robert_graves.jpg
54KB, 640x320px
Is this faggot worth reading? I just finished the Iliad and I'm kind of interested in Homer's Daughter and The White Goddess
>>
NO.

It's shit. You spend hours translating just to live on the minimum and get by.

DO NOT do it.
>>
>>8984304
>emma watson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsIz-aG076g
>>
>>8985321
Apparently it's 10$ per page so 4000 for a book, how is this bad?
>>
>>8985350
>10$ per page

Unless you're somewhat a big name, yeah man, keep dreaming
>>
File: IMG_5743.jpg (86KB, 640x551px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5743.jpg
86KB, 640x551px
>>8985356
Google said so
>>
>>8985319
Not sure about Homer's Daughter, but White Goddess is one massive ode to his eXXXtreme femdom fetish

His Myths is good, though the interpretations veer into the White Goddess esotericism. His translations of Suetonius and I think other stuff are good. His memoir is good. His historical fiction is all good - I Claudius, Count Belisarius, King Jesus. Also I believe his war poetry is good.
>>
>>8985366
These are people who are getting contracted to translate a novel. You'll be translating corporate documents about shipping procedures and shit.
>>
>>8985373
This. I have been doing a couple of correction works for a hobbie just two years from now, and it's always been shitty paid

>inb4 aristotle fallacy retard quote
>>
Translating other stuff pays more.
>Medical documents
>Technical guides
>legal documents
>>
>>8985395
This. You have to be well informed on the topics though
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.