[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why does it seem like no one cares about him? is he not worth

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

why does it seem like no one cares about him? is he not worth talking about? what about the fact that he created the most compelling, lifelike depiction of a family of the last 20 years with The Corrections?

he is also literally living the literary lifestyle and hates plebs
>>
He looks like a nu-male cuck
>>
Honestly, it's because he's a white male.
>>
>>8983475
>hates plebs

wrong. he is a pleb.

> I grew up in a friendly, egalitarian suburb reading books for pleasure and ignoring any writer who didn't take my entertainment seriously enough. Even as an adult, I consider myself a slattern of a reader. I have started (in many cases, more than once) "Moby-Dick," "The Man Without Qualities," "Mason & Dixon," "Don Quixote," "Remembrance of Things Past," "Doctor Faustus," "Naked Lunch," "The Golden Bowl," and "The Golden Notebook" without coming anywhere near finishing them.
>>
>>8983480
>Doctor Faustus

Wtf he could bang that out in 2.5 hours
>>
>>8983475
>why does it seem like no one cares about him?

Because no one cares about him.
He's an incest child of the North East liberal elite, the fame he has is just out of pure class based nepotism
>>
We had a wonderful thread about him about a year ago, I remember one anon describing him as neo-Victorian, and it was a pretty good analysis. Neo-Victorian anon, you here?

>what about the fact that he created the most compelling, lifelike depiction of a family of the last 20 years with The Corrections?
Definitely, his characters are so well thought out and their arcs are incredible. Gary's chapter gave me anxiety. I didn't really see "return to sincerity" in Infinite Jest, but, assuming I'm interpreting the phrase correctly, I see it in the Corrections.

>hates plebs
Not really, he just didn't want to be included on Oprah's book list. Look up Mr. Difficult
>>
>>8983480
>Indeed, by a comfortable margin, the most difficult book I ever voluntarily read in its entirety was Gaddis's nine-hundred-and-fifty-six-page first novel, "The Recognitions."

ouch
>>
>>8983480
Damn, Franzen comfirmed worthless hack
>>
>>8983475
tries too hard to be the new dfw
>>
>>8983514
funny as how DFW tried too hard be the new Franzen
>>
>>8983514
Elaborate, please.

I know that Franzen is no intellectual (the passage about man being aware of his death as the thing that sets him apart from animals) and his prose is sometimes stale ("Enid slept like a haiku")
>>
>>8983526
>Enid slept like a haiku

Please don't let this be real
>>
>>8983519
Thats kind of the point, DFW beat him at his own game and now he's back tracking to copy his own son. Pathetic
>>
>>8983543
DFW never had a book that connected with audiences as much as The Corrections/Freedom did and never achieved the same heights of creating lifelike characters. There's no one in IJ that felt anywhere near as real to me and whom I cared about as much as the Lambert family
>>
>>8983534
It is, but if you haven't read The Corrections are you really qualified to roast him?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.