[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Swinburne & Translation Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Swinburne portrait.jpg (77KB, 336x500px) Image search: [Google]
Swinburne portrait.jpg
77KB, 336x500px
Greetings, my b/lit/he companions,

There is a lengthy paragraph in French that serves as the epigraph to Algernon Charles Swinburne's very great poem Laus Veneris. There are two problems here. The greater one is that I don't know French and, although my edition of Swinburne's selected poetry is otherwise well-annotated, it doesn't have a word on the meaning of the French passage; and, try as I might, I can't find a translation of it anywhere on the Internet. I don't know anybody who really knows French either, so I've resorted to this place, since I know that a fair number of Frenchies lurk about here. Perhaps this should go on /int/ or /r/ instead, but I thought I'd try here first, since you guys are more intelligent.

The lesser problem is that attribution states it is from "Livre des grandes merveilles d'amour, escript en latin et en françoys par Maistre Antoine Gaget. 1530." I'm generally knowledgeable enough to know that that would be "Book of Love's Great Marvels," but again I can't find anything on a Renaissance author by the name of Antoine Gaget, which naturally leads me to think that Swinburne made the passage up himself. The attribution says it's written in both Latin and French, so if the book happens to be real and can point me to the Latin version, that would also be fine, since I think I know enough of that language to puzzle through the corresponding passage.

Here is the paragraph:

Lors dit en plourant; Hélas trop malheureux homme et mauldict pescheur, oncques ne verrai-je clémence et miséricorde de Dieu. Ores m'en irai-je d'icy et me cacherai dedans le mont Horsel, en requérant de faveur et d'amoureuse merci ma doulce dame Vénus, car pour son amour serai-je bien à tout jamais damné en enfer. Voicy la fin de tous mes faicts d'armes et de toutes mes belles chansons. Hélas, trop belle estoyt la face de ma dame et ses yeulx, et en mauvais jour je vis ces chouses-là. Lors s'en alla tout en gémissant et se retourna chez elle, et là vescut tristement en grand amour près de sa dame. Puis après advint que le pape vit un jour esclater sur son baston force belles fleurs rouges et blanches et maints boutons de feuilles, et ainsi vit-il reverdir toute l'escorce. Ce dont il eut grande crainte et moult s'en esmut, et grande pitié lui prit de ce chevalier qui s'en estoyt départi sans espoir comme un homme misérable et damné. Doncques envoya force messaigers devers luy pour le ramener, disant qu'il aurait de Dieu grace et bonne absolution de son grand pesché d'amour. Mais oncques plus ne le virent; car toujours demeura ce pauvre chevalier auprès de Vénus la haulte et forte déesse ès flancs de la montagne amoureuse.

Feel free to discuss Swinburne and so-called Decadent literature more generally in this thread. Those guys are terribly underappreciated around here. Here's the famous portrait of the handsome fellow, by the way.
>>
>>8982335
>Swinburne
>very great poem
Stopped reading there. Swinburne is a hack.
>>
>>8982335

so if the book happens to be real and YOU can point me etc.*

>>8982342

How helpful. Yet another Anon who takes all his opinions from the Pound-Eliot collective (and yes, I know that Eliot concedes that Swinburne is a great poet, but you must admit that the overall tone of his essay is unfathomably patronizing, as most of his prose is).
>>
>>8982352
Google it fuckstick
>>
Bump. I realize translating takes time, so if someone's out there doing me this favor, don't feel rushed.

What's your favorite poem of Swinburne's? I realize this is the clichéd answer, but for me it's still "The Triumph of Time," though I have not yet read his longer poems. Which should I read first, by the way: Atalanta in Calydon or Tristram of Lyonesse?
>>
>>8982440

I did google it, shitsmoocher. What I'm telling you is that I have not found, in several pages of results, a single place where it has been translated.
>>
>>8982471
i can tell youre a homosexual. in a bad way
>>
Then he said, weeping, Alas, miserable man and cursed sinner that I am, I shall never see the mercy and pity of God. Now I shall go from here and hide myself within Mount Horsel, begging again the favour and the loving mercy of my sweet Lady Venus, because for her love I shall be forever damned to Hell. Here is the end of all my deeds of arms and my lovely songs. Alas, too beautiful were the face of my Lady and her eyes, and it was an evil day when I saw them. Then he departed groaning, and returned to her, and there lived sadly in great love with his Lady. Then afterward it transpired that the Pope saw beautiful red and white flowers and many leafy buds break forth on his staff, and thus he saw the dead wood become green again. Then he was much afraid and greatly moved, and took a great pity for that knight who had departed without hope like a man miserable and damned. Then he sent eagerly the messangers to bring him back, saying that God had given him grace and good absolution for his great sin of love. But they saw him no more: for this poor knight lived forever with the high and powerful goddess Venus within the flanks of the Mountain of Love.

Rough, and that's pretty simple French which you should be able to get through. (Actual medieval French isn't even much harder to get through, but Swinburne has made up his reference here, and just wrote that part himself, attributing it to Gaget)
>>
>>8982605

Alright, thanks very much. As I said, I do not have French. One cannot learn all the world's literary languages.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.